4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Carbuater Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:40 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Carbuater Knowledge

Basically barrels are just like running a higher injector size. The more barrels, the more fuel you can push into the engine. It gets fun when you see people with two 4 barrel holleys, the secondary carb running on vacuum reserve until you need it. Horribly inefficient compared to fuel injection, but much more simple, easier to tune, and a LOT cooler looking. If its gonna be a drag car, carb is the way to go.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:45 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Oh dear lord.......
Old 05-26-2007, 10:22 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zanador

Basically barrels are just like running a higher injector size. The more barrels, the more fuel you can push into the engine. It gets fun when you see people with two 4 barrel holleys, the secondary carb running on vacuum reserve until you need it. Horribly inefficient compared to fuel injection, but much more simple, easier to tune, and a LOT cooler looking. If its gonna be a drag car, carb is the way to go.
Actually they are sized to flow a certian amount of AIR not fuel. The fuel is metered by rods and juset sized specifically for the application.

Please tell me about this vacumn reserve Mr. Wizard, I have never seen this before. Is this something akin to a kanuter valve? I have to agree with you to a point, any clod can tune FI but a real expert can tune carbs AND fuel injection. All it takes is patience and knowledge. Your post displays you know little if anything to which you replied to.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 AM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BuzzCut

Actually they are sized to flow a certian amount of AIR not fuel. The fuel is metered by rods and juset sized specifically for the application.

Please tell me about this vacumn reserve Mr. Wizard, I have never seen this before. Is this something akin to a kanuter valve? I have to agree with you to a point, any clod can tune FI but a real expert can tune carbs AND fuel injection. All it takes is patience and knowledge. Your post displays you know little if anything to which you replied to.
Ive never heard of an entire secondary carb being run off vacuum. You have to have some kind of mechanical link between the two so that they open/close together.

I think what hes talking about is a vacuum sceondary carb. With 4 barrel carbs, if you turn the carb upside down, you will see 4 holes covered by butterfly valves. The front 2 are the primaries, the back 2 are the secondaries.These are what people refer to as barrels. Basically the carb has 4 holes, or barrels, for air and fuel to pass into the intake through. On a vacuum secondary carb, only the front two barrels are operated by pressing the gas pedal down. The back barrels open when then engine pulls enough vaccum to open the valves.On mechanical secondary carbs, the secondaries open when the throttle reaches a certain position via a mechanical link.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:33 PM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotrod7687

Ive never heard of an entire secondary carb being run off vacuum. You have to have some kind of mechanical link between the two so that they open/close together.

I think what hes talking about is a vacuum sceondary carb. With 4 barrel carbs, if you turn the carb upside down, you will see 4 holes covered by butterfly valves. The front 2 are the primaries, the back 2 are the secondaries.These are what people refer to as barrels. Basically the carb has 4 holes, or barrels, for air and fuel to pass into the intake through. On a vacuum secondary carb, only the front two barrels are operated by pressing the gas pedal down. The back barrels open when then engine pulls enough vaccum to open the valves.On mechanical secondary carbs, the secondaries open when the throttle reaches a certain position via a mechanical link.
On Quadrajunks yes to the top two butterflys open by airflow not vacumn. but the lowers have a mechanical link. I don't know of ANY OEM 4 barrel that has "vacumn" operated secondaries period.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:25 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotrod7687

On Quadrajunks yes to the top two butterflys open by airflow not vacumn. but the lowers have a mechanical link. I don't know of ANY OEM 4 barrel that has "vacumn" operated secondaries period.
I dont think any of the quadrajets had the vacuum secondaries, but who keeps a stock q-jet on anything. Holley makes both mechanical and vacuum secondary carbs. Edelbrock and carter style carbs are mechanicalI believe. As far as any OEM carb being vacuum secondaries, i dont know.