4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Have a few small issues i need help with.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 AM
2000NoviGT

Default Have a few small issues i need help with.

I just bought my dads 2000 Novi charged GT. There are a few small issues with it. It has a Novi 2000 S/C, reworked tranny with shift kit and 2800 stall speed. Full exhaust with X pipe (no cats), diablo chip (not installed cause timing retard was programed to retarded lol). First issue, my dad was running through the gears a few weeks back and he blew the blower belt. now for some reason the A/C will not blow cold. The fuses are fine. All of the lines look fine and the connection looks fine. Any ideas? The other small issue I have is when you start it up, sometimes when you drop it in reverse or from N to drive the RPM's bog down and it dies. This doesnt happen often and after it is warm it is fine. Could this just be the battery or maybe the alternator? Also, I need to get it emissions tested. The "service engine soon" light is on. When you plug the Diablo in this light goes away. Will it pass with the chip in or do I have to put the stock Cat system back on? It has 42lb injectors too so would it even pass with those in or with the hot spark plugs it has? Thanks for the help. One happy camper here :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3musKhyV8
Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Have a few small issues i need help with.

The car simply isn't going to pass any sort of emissions test with no cats on, unless the people doing it are morons.Almost all emmissions tests at least include a visual inspection, they are going to see the lack of cats and fail ya right there.A tune can get rid of the CEL light, but any sort of physical inspection past making sure the light isn't on will instantly fail ya.

Depending on what state your in (aka so long as your not in cali) your car should be able to pass with a good tune and cats on the car. With this setup, even with your blower and bigger injectors, you can set the car up via tune to pass even a sniffer test on a dyno.

So far as the car stalling when cold, blower setups can be a bit tempermental until they warm up some. My car will often stumble a few times before I get going (first 25 or so seconds lets say) its more of an issue of the engine being so cold and the larger injectors I think, rather than the alt or fuel pump. From what I have seen its just something youhave to put up with.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 AM
2000NoviGT

My dad says when he plugs the diablo chip in the CEL goes off. If I put the stock cats on and plug that in so the CEL goes off will it pass? They dont do the sniffer test here anymore, just plug it in. Do they plug the tester into where the Diablo chip is plugged into? I guess I will just have to deal with the bogging. Is it as easy as my GSXR is to adjust the idle? Maybe setting the idle up a few 100 RPM will help. I know when I put a pipe on my bike I had to raise the idle a tad bit so it didnt stall when idling. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Was the diablo custom tuned? What do you have, a chip or a handheld?

I guess I am a bit confused here, your car doesn't have a custom tune, and its running on stock ECU? Or you have a diablo handheld you are plugging in under the dash and when you download it the CEL goes off for awhile?

If it has not been custom tuned (or at least dyno checked) you need to get this done ASAP. Theres almost no way its still running with the stock tune, but if its not been checked you could be risking bad damange on the motor.

The diablo should have the option to simply turn off the rear 02 sensors, which is what check for the cats (thats all they do, confirm cat status). However, surely your state not only plugs in to check but also does a visual check? If not your fine, but if they check it your screwed.

If you get some cats on the car the CEL should go off, but even if it doesn't you can still setup the tune to turn the rear 02 sensors off. The emissions testing will not be able to tell that you did this, all they do is plug into the port under the dash (drivers side) and check to see if you have any engine codes. You will need to get rid of the CEL and then drive around a few hundred miles to make sure all the codes are gone.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 PM
2000NoviGT

I have a Diablo chip that was dyno tuned on the car, but we dont like the tune because they set the timing up so it feels like there is a loss of power. The stock ECU has also been tuned by Paxton. When the supercharger was installed the ECU was sent to them and they programmed it to go with the kit that was ordered so its definitely not running stock. The Diablo chip is the actual chip that you plug in under the dash on the passenger side. I would love to have the actual module to modify the ECU so I could just do it myself. The chip was done on the dyno but it runs a lot better when it uses the Paxton set up. I guess the chip overrides that completely when plugged in. I will just throw the original cats on and if that doesnt make the CEL turn off I will plug the chip in and leave it like that for a week or so and then go get the test done. The last 3 times I got emissions the people were too lazy to look for cats, they just plugged it in and let the test run and sent me on my way.