4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

real quick: fuel filter question, bout to change it

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:01 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: real quick: fuel filter question, bout to change it

ORIGINAL: wwmost

i did exactly that. and i dont have a shrader valve. its an 04. dont know why it keeps running.
That's weird, I don't know what to tell you. To me it makes sense that it would die like mine did since there is no pump to pump more and there is definitely not 8-9 minutes of gas in the lines alone. Weird. [&:]

Edit: Ahh, did you take off the gas cap? If you don't take off the gas cap there may be a lot of pressure in the tank, especially on a hot day. That pressure would keep pushing the fuel even without the pump. I bet that's what it was.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

im In NC and its hot as ***** outside today.... no i didnt open the gas cap... but yes i pulled power from the pump. guess thats the reason haha
Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

For those of you who dont know how to use the "tool", heres how:

put the tool over the small metal niple comming off the filter so that the flat side of the tool is facing the filter. it should fit pretty snug on the nipple, but there will be some give. Once you set it on the nipple, take your finger and jam it towards the metal holder (that the filter is connected two).this will release the grip from the filter so that you can pull it off. WARNING: this is when you will get gass everywhere. Do the same with both sides. When replacing the filter just snap it back on and thats it!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: swooshonln

For those of you who dont know how to use the "tool", heres how:

put the tool over the small metal niple comming off the filter so that the flat side of the tool is facing the filter. it should fit pretty snug on the nipple, but there will be some give. Once you set it on the nipple, take your finger and jam it towards the metal holder (that the filter is connected two).this will release the grip from the filter so that you can pull it off. WARNING: this is when you will get gass everywhere. Do the same with both sides. When replacing the filter just snap it back on and thats it!
Cool, I'm in NC too. Yeah, it was about 90 here. Lucky I got out early before football to wash my car and cruise around a little.

Yeah, I used a flat bladed screwdriver because I forgot to get a quick disconnect tool, haha. It was a bitch to get apart with the screwdrivers, but I finally did. That's not when I dumped fuel on my face, I did it the stupid way. trying to figure out how which way to slide the filter out of it's clamp to get it out, tilted it on one side without thinking and got a face full. Guess it's just one of those things that you have to do so you're more careful next time. Would have been a lot easier if I hadn't done it with the car still on the ground. I could barely move under the gas tank.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

haha yeah I just pulled it off w/ a rag and watching it turn black... it was pretty gross... my poor car... which leads me to my other ?

If my filter was THAT black... are my plugs going to be nasty as ****?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: swooshonln

haha yeah I just pulled it off w/ a rag and watching it turn black... it was pretty gross... my poor car... which leads me to my other ?

If my filter was THAT black... are my plugs going to be nasty as ****?
The point of the filter is to catch that though. Assuming the filter works, that black is stuck in the filter, and not passed through. Pull a plug out and check it though if you want. Can't hurt.