Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Reload this Page >

Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!

Snake oil.... There's no proof because it's not worth the money to test it. You buy the spacer, then Dyno your car with it off then install it and repeat. Make sure you do it a multiple of time in that order to get the factual result.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:49 AM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Maybe if you get a CAI and bigger TB...then maybe you might get something out of it
Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Plenty of people have the money to test it. Like people who use dyno's all the time. Why not get someone to contact some of these companies that sell them and see if they can produce some results for us.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGTI'm not saying that spacers work or don't, but the last argument is flawed. 8 FWHP would more closely resemble 5-6 RWHP. Now, I've seen spacers advertised for about $50 on ebay. If 6rwhp cost $50, then 12rwhp - $100, 24rwhp - $200. How many of us on this forum purchased CAI's for a net gain of 5 rwhp? How many of us paid a hell of a lot more than $50? If I could get 6 rwhp for $50 I'd do it right now. A new x pipe and catback nets about 12rwhp? I paid more than $100 for my exhaust. I rest my case.Again, I'm not saying it will work or not, only that the theory is sound in principle (not the theory you cited in your posting). However, as has been proven time and again, when it comes to cars, trial and error can usually do more than theory. Sound theory is a poor substitute for results.
TRUE! Although I did think my JLT CAI lived up to it's claims. For a new guy I would say to skip UDP's, larger TB/plenum & exhaust work(except for cutting the stock mufflers out and adding the muffs of your choice for sound.
The January issue of MM&FF had a DVD that was attached to it so even though I had a subscription I bought it and even on a 3v the typical bolt ons did very little. Not until they got to the SC did the car make appreciable power.
So it's not just the spacers but most of the typical bolt ons that we all have bought.
Accufab is the best TB/plenum and it is over $400. for 6-7whp!
I don't know what Jason goes by on here but he says the FIRST mod should be an SC!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Good point on the Supercharger. Probably one of the best mods you can do for your money, however we are still no closer to knowing the truth of our spacer dilemma....

the search continues...
Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

the only wayi would see the spacer increasing performance is the added displacement to the plenum.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Idk the Mach one guys swear by it. I had a buddy that said he felt a difference. I put a throttle body spacer and a fuel spacer on my chevy truck and i noticed a little bit better throttle response and it sounded louder on the intake but honestly wasnt a big improvement. But it was only like $35 so idk.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:29 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i think the mach 1s are different. there spacer provides more distance between the upper plenum and lower, alot different design. its kinda like the 350z concept, they make a spacer for those plenums that provides a solid 10-15 dyno provenhorsepower.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGTI'm not saying that spacers work or don't, but?the last argument is flawed. 8 FWHP would more closely resemble 5-6 RWHP. Now, I've seen spacers advertised for about $50 on ebay.?If 6rwhp cost $50, then 12rwhp - $100, 24rwhp - $200. How many of us on this forum purchased CAI's for a net gain of 5 rwhp? How many of us paid a hell of a lot more than?$50? If I could get 6 rwhp for $50 I'd do it right now. A new x pipe and catback nets about 12rwhp? I paid more than $100 for my exhaust. I rest my case.Again, I'm not saying it will work or not, only that the theory is sound in principle (not the theory you cited in your posting). However, as has been proven time and again, when it comes to cars, trial and error can usually do more than theory. Sound theory is a poor substitute for results.
TRUE! Although I did think my JLT CAI lived up to it's claims. For a new guy I would say to skip UDP's, larger TB/plenum & exhaust work(except for cutting the stock mufflers out and adding the muffs of your choice for sound.
The January issue of MM&FF had a DVD that was attached to it so even though I had a subscription I bought it and even on a 3v the typical bolt ons did very little. Not until they got to the SC did the car make appreciable power.
So it's not just the spacers but most of the typical bolt ons that we all have bought.
Accufab is the best TB/plenum and it is over $400. for 6-7whp!
I don't know what Jason goes by on here but he says the FIRST mod should be an SC!
I cannot agree on this one. Not everyone wants to go F/I, including myself. Maybe one day, but not soon. Also, there are folks who just cannot afford $4-5K for a quality setup. If I had that in cash, I'd talk myself out of spending it. So, for the dedicated n/a crowd, TBs, plenums, timing adjusters, pullies, etc are a good start. In fact, if my wife stops spending all the money I'm making in Iraq, I may be able to afford some of said upgrades when I return. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:22 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

No ****? I'm in iraq too... 3rd trip!