4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:22 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!

Alright every company claims these spacers work, obviously they're just trying to make money. However, does anyone have any data from indenpendent sources (ie magazines?) that they either work or dont. Company's claim they do, we claim they dont.

Who's got the proof?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: rthouck

Alright every company claims these spacers work, obviously they're just trying to make money. However, does anyone have any data from indenpendent sources (ie magazines?) that they either work or dont. Company's claim they do, we claim they dont.

Who's got the proof?
Actually, we cannot agree either. The theory is sound, but more so for F/I than N/A. I've yet to see empirical data to support either side of the discussion. Personally, my car is so close to stock that it probably would not matter. Still, I'd like to see the raw data.

Anyone?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i got into an arguement with this douche at my shop who thinks the spacer is good for horsepower. he said 5.0 did a review on it and said they got X horsepower. i said it doesnt do **** on a EFI engine, only carb'd cuz it gives better air/fuel mixture. he said it does the same thing on an EFI. i said no...because fuel is sprayed into the cylinders it never touches the air until then. he said well it gives it a half an inch extra to cool the air off. i asked him if he's ever touched his throttle body after his cars been running. ITS WARMER THAN THE AIR GOING THROUGH THE INAKE...THERES NO COOLING. so in your arguement your actually giving the air a split second more to heat it up (which doesnt matter). the only application it could possibly matter in is FI or perhaps nitrous.

reguardless, anything you can do to help performance is well known. there are no secrets when it comes to adding power because everyone looks for the easy horsepower gains. things that work...everyone has it. things that dont work...only the idiots and ricers have it. and ontop of that the claims ive seen for it are 6-8hp...which is FWHP. to the wheels even 8hp is what...2? not worth spending XX$ for.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I'm not saying that spacers work or don't, butthe last argument is flawed. 8 FWHP would more closely resemble 5-6 RWHP. Now, I've seen spacers advertised for about $50 on ebay.If 6rwhp cost $50, then 12rwhp - $100, 24rwhp - $200. How many of us on this forum purchased CAI's for a net gain of 5 rwhp? How many of us paid a hell of a lot more than$50? If I could get 6 rwhp for $50 I'd do it right now. A new x pipe and catback nets about 12rwhp? I paid more than $100 for my exhaust. I rest my case.

Again, I'm not saying it will work or not, only that the theory is sound in principle (not the theory you cited in your posting). However, as has been proven time and again, when it comes to cars, trial and error can usually do more than theory. Sound theory is a poor substitute for results.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Again - we've heard various "theories" has anyone seen dyno numbers on this? Independent testing...?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
vermontstang
1st Gear Member

I bought one a few months back (only cause I got it for 7 bucks shipped) it doesnt seem to hurt performance nor does it seem tohelp performance, so I left it on.. Maybe after many of mods itll make a little difference. Some mods dont do much till you add others...

Like a catback, yes you gain, but when added with a headers the gains are much more. So maybe in theory, if you have an intake and upgrade the plenum and IM youll maybe see a bit of a gain. MAYBE im saying..
Also if there were any gains at all I wouldnt think it would be anymore than 1-3 if that. But hey even if all you get is throttle response its worth a something in the end.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

HORSEPOWER IS HORESPOWER EVERY PONY COUNTS!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Most of the companies that sell these state that the gains are larger with supercharged cars compared to N/A cars.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Yeah exactly every little bit of HP counts - thus the debate - who's seen the numbers are these things real or fake? Well actually the debate is part of the problem, lets see some dyno numbers!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I say they do nothing or the magazines would be doing dyno shootouts of the different versions.
I research everything almost to death beforeI buy,and every part I've put on my car has had several dyno comparisons done with any gains posted in the article.Since I have never seen an article on intake spacers,it's a good bet there are no gains to be had.
After all,mags sell ad space to manufacturers and then go on to test the products,with sometimes dubious results,we've all see that.The one thing they all have in common is there was some kind of HP gain.
Using this theory,I say T/B spacers would make interesting paperweights but poor performance increasing parts.

Quick Reply: Intake spacer - PROOF !!!!!!!!!