4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Going Supercharged, Need Help from everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM
FastGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Going Supercharged, Need Help from everyone.

Hey guys,

Here whats going on, I have a 2002 Mustang GT. A few days ago one of my sparkplugs came flying out. It damage my heads. Also the car is now burning oil. Im going to take it to the shop and as long as its there, Im going all the way.

Im planning on buying a Kenne Bell Supercharger, the complete kit. With that said I need you guys to help choosing what heads to buy, Im also changing pistons and cams. I need people to tell me which type are best for my application and where I can get it at a good price, including the supercharger cause Im from puerto rico and I have to count with shipping. Also if any of you now what else I should change feel free to tell me.

Lets see how much we do know about mustangs.

Thank You
Old 11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Going Supercharged, Need Help from everyone.

do this:
buy a fully built long block
repair you old head and sell the old long block
KB minimum of a 2.2l
full exhaust
flywheel/clutch
cobra tank and pumps

you'll find alot of good information over at modularpowerhouse.com
Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Stage three heads and cams from THR (texas hot rods).
Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

first of all, Kenne Bell doesnt make a 2.2l kit for 99-04 GT's anymore. It used to be a 1.7l standard kit or a 2.2L big bore blower....since like 2005 or early 2006 2.1 liter kits were the standard and replaced the 1.7 and the 2.6L big bore replaced the 2.2L.

you gotta ask yourself what your ultimate horsepower goals are. The 2.1L kit is good to about 14-15psi where it starts getting very inefficient. The Big Bore Kit is supposedly good to 25psi but you need one hell of an engine/fuel system to support that kind of power.

The 2.1L kit would be more than enough for a stock bottom end daily driver and can be run without an intercooler (though i dont think anyone would recomend NOT having an intercooled kit)....while the 2.6L will pretty much require a complete engine rebuild from pistons to cams and an intercooler is mandatory i believe. The 2.6 is also considerably more expensive, but you start getting into stupid-fast horsepower/tourque numbers....and at that price and power level, a turbocharger will likely net you more power for the same price....

Also, ask yourself if this car will be daily driven or not. This is a pretty expensive setup to be garaged lol...trust me I know......
shortblock/rebuild 2500-3000
heads/cam 2000-2500
2.1/2.6 5000-7000
install/tune of engine + blower 2000ish (i'm guessing as I only had mine tuned...i did the blower install on a long weekend....)

also, once you get into heads/cams/blower....youre gonna want to start thinking about a built rear...especially with the massive low end tourque of a twin screw like the KB, you'll snap that stock rear in no time. So tack another 1000-1500 onto your already extensive bill....not to mention the suspension work/tiresyou gotta consider to actually stick that kinda power to the road

figure out what your ultimate goals are because you could get a new set of heads (patriot)and a 2.1l KB on your stock block for about 7k (ballpark) and put you close to your stock block limits. or you could spend 15k+for HUGE power potential/numbers....its all what you're looking for...
Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

^ pretty good post.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Yea, that's what I was thinkin.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:49 PM
FastGT
2nd Gear Member

This car is a daily driver, Im not looking into spending on a new block. I would probably buy the 2.1L kit. I want to keep the stock block for as long as possible. A already have to change the heads so, what heads would you suggest and what cams. Also what other parts do I have to consider when changing the heads and cams. Im not looking for high amount of HP. Im also buying 18X10 for my rear so tires wont be a problem.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

well, just remember that no matter what your goal numbers are, the stock block is good until about 450 rear wheel horsepower....but really, most people say 400-425 is a safe zone. You can easily pass that safe mark with heads/cams/blower so just keep that in mind.

for heads, I have VT stage II heads (www.vtengines.com) but I think Patriot Performance does a good job on porting. A few people on this site have em and swear by them, plus they're cheaper than VT or MMR heads. Go to www.americanmuscle.com and look for em. I'd say stage II or Stage III heads will do you right.

Also if you're definetly getting a KB, get a cam with a grind thats meant for boost. If you get an N/A grind, you'll be kicking yourself in the *** for it. N/A grind cams wont hold boost very well and to actually acheive the a certain amount of boost you'll need to 'pulley-up'....basically its inefficient....so get a blower specific grind. Again, I got my cams from VT.

Last, the size of the tire you put on isnt as important really as what type of tire you put on. No matter what your application, an 18" rim isnt going to help your performance at all. Youre adding more rotational mass and probably more unsprung weight. why not go with a 17" x 10.5" tire in the rear? If your car doesnt see much rain I'd recommend getting Nitto 555R Drag Radials. Will give you much better traction over a stock tire at the track, but still good for a sunny day daily driver. Then again, if this becomes a strict drag car, 15" pro stars with some mickey tompsons are your best bet. Bigger Rim size from my experience doesnt help performance/traction at all....its all in the tire...