4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Its going to run fine without them. They recommend the gear swap because it makes it much easier to get up into the powerband the new cams will have.

cams are going to reduce low end TQ, espcially off idle TQ, and increase top end horsepower. With less TQ down low it can be more difficult to get up into the RPM band you need, so a steeper gear helps out.

Running a 3.55 or even stock 3.27 should NOT be making you have to really slip the clutch hard etc etc with cams...something isn't right if this is going on. 3.73 is not that much more agressive than a 3.55 and I have no problems....
sorry buddy but your wrong. untill you have had a cammed out modular car with with stock 3.55 or 3.27 gears maybe you shouldnt speak on it.... cams on these cars make driveability alot different... you really have to make it a point to keep the rpms up everywhere you go, the car likes to buck and be sluggish anytime you let them drop... but the cams in my car also have no problems pulling hard as hell all the way to 7500, so its give and take.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackonblacksls

Its going to run fine without them. They recommend the gear swap because it makes it much easier to get up into the powerband the new cams will have.

cams are going to reduce low end TQ, espcially off idle TQ, and increase top end horsepower. With less TQ down low it can be more difficult to get up into the RPM band you need, so a steeper gear helps out.

Running a 3.55 or even stock 3.27 should NOT be making you have to really slip the clutch hard etc etc with cams...something isn't right if this is going on. 3.73 is not that much more agressive than a 3.55 and I have no problems....
sorry buddy but your wrong. untill you have had a cammed out modular car with with stock 3.55 or 3.27 gears maybe you shouldnt speak on it.... cams on these cars make driveability alot different... you really have to make it a point to keep the rpms up everywhere you go, the car likes to buck and be sluggish anytime you let them drop... but the cams in my car also have no problems pulling hard as hell all the way to 7500, so its give and take.
I have hada blown and cammed modular with a 3.73 gear for well over a year now, I think I can provide some input

Your car should not be bucking or having problems with takeoff for one thing.

For another, you will not "fall out of the powerband" because you have a longer gear. After first gear, the rear gearing has absolutly no effect whatsoever on the RPM your car falls to after a shift. No matter what gear, 4.56 or 2.73, when you shift the car falls to the same RPM... it just does so at a different MPH.

The reason you need a steeper gear is the intial takeoff, and with a stock 3.27 it is only really going to effect performance launching (not easy takeoff). With the 3.27s you just don't have as much off idle TQ as a stock cam, and lessTQ below theRPM point the cams reallykick in, which means it takes much longer to get into your powerband. This is why they recommend more agressive gearing for a heavyer cam.

Other than right "off idle" TQ the TQ on almost any modular cam, espcially a stage1 or stage 2, should not be that much differentthan a stocker anyway. I onlylost about20 FT/LBs at most, and that was with a TERRIBLE tune thatwas simply robbing me at almost every point in the band. hell, I had a 15:1 a/f ratio at3000 RPm and it wasstill only 20ish FT/Lbs off.

With a centri charger and a stage 2 VT N/A cam (which is even worse for my setup than a FI cam would be) I still do not have any issues like you are discribing. The only times you should experence "bucking" is if you screwup on an easy takeoff and almost stall out the car. If your getting bucking or problems with easy takeoff you need to have the car looked at... something isn't right.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

I have hada blown and cammed modular with a 3.73 gear for well over a year now, I think I can provide some input

For another, you will not "fall out of the powerband" because you have a longer gear. After first gear, the rear gearing has absolutly no effect whatsoever on the RPM your car falls to after a shift. No matter what gear, 4.56 or 2.73, when you shift the car falls to the same RPM... it just does so at a different MPH.

The reason you need a steeper gear is the intial takeoff, and with a stock 3.27 it is only really going to effect performance launching (not easy takeoff). With the 3.27s you just don't have as much off idle TQ as a stock cam, and lessTQ below theRPM point the cams reallykick in, which means it takes much longer to get into your powerband. This is why they recommend more agressive gearing for a heavyer cam.

Other than right "off idle" TQ the TQ on almost any modular cam, espcially a stage1 or stage 2, should not be that much differentthan a stocker anyway. I onlylost about20 FT/LBs at most, and that was with a TERRIBLE tune thatwas simply robbing me at almost every point in the band. hell, I had a 15:1 a/f ratio at3000 RPm and it wasstill only 20ish FT/Lbs off.

With a centri charger and a stage 2 VT N/A cam (which is even worse for my setup than a FI cam would be) I still do not have any issues like you are discribing. The only times you should experence "bucking" is if you screwup on an easy takeoff and almost stall out the car. If your getting bucking or problems with easy takeoff you need to have the car looked at... something isn't right.
its because you have 3.73 gears.... i could take off in second and go to 4th with 3.73 gears and bolt ons, hell i used to do it all the time when i had a drink in my hand.... and i sure as hell could not do it now with cams and 3.55s.. and you lost 20lbs!!! that is a ton, you are lucky to gain 20hp with cams half the time... the problems with these modulars and cams have been noticed and mentioned by many....... your just being a dumbass and a hard head... People like you are the reason most 2vs are slow as ball, because you dont listen, you dont pay attention to what these cars need and just do whatever you can to get it running.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:37 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

its because you have 3.73 gears.... i could take off in second and go to 4th with 3.73 gears and bolt ons, hell i used to do it all the time when i had a drink in my hand.... and i sure as hell could not do it now with cams and 3.55s.. and you lost 20lbs!!! that is a ton, you are lucky to gain 20hp with cams half the time... the problems with these modulars and cams have been noticed and mentioned by many....... your just being a dumbass and a hard head... People like you are the reason most 2vs are slow as ball, because you dont listen, you dont pay attention to what these cars need and just do whatever you can to get it running.
Rofl what???

Your not even making any since. I am not saying that I would recommend you stay with stock gearing for a cammed car for 1/4 mile purposes (or racing of any kind) but you should NOT be having problems with driveabitly using a stage1 or 2 cam and stock gearing. There isn't any reason you can't drive around with a cammed car + stock gearing if you need to for awhile before you can swap over to new gearing.

Its simply not that big of a difference. 20 FT/LBs compared to what, 250ish isn't jack at 1200 RPM (off idle takeoff). the average person would be HARD pressed to even notice the difference between a stock and aftermarket cam if they could not hear the idle (in other words powerband wise).

The stage 1/2 cams are simply not that agressive... if your experencing large drivablity problems and issues with stalling/jumping you have a problem... plain and simple.

Hell, going from a 3.27 to a 3.73 isn't that big of a jump, supposed to be 20 percent more agressive, so at the most 3.55s are only 10 perecent less than a 3.73... your just smoking crack. Fix the issue with the car.. if your having that much trouble you either have a tuning issue or need to learn how to release the clutch...

Yes, more gear is better, espcially on a cammed car, but it should NOT be causing drivability issues, just slower 1/4 mile times.

Edit; You are right, I am the reason that "most" 2v cars are slow... I designed the heads and I didn't think in any way before putting my combonation together, I just slapped it together from parts forum members were willing to ship me for free. I have no experence with 2Vs, I don't own a blown/cammed car, and I am 12 years old...

Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

2000GT4.6, don't F with this guy. He's got the fasterest N/A 2v in the world. Beats sprayed LS1's, and my car could never touch it. His parts are better than mine, and He knows his ****.

Seriously tho, but I'm gonna have to agree that it sucks to drive around. I drove with 4.10's for 9 months, 3 of those being with the Spec stage 3. The Spec just made it all around akward to lauch it easy. The car DOES buck and kick and complain. ESPECIALLY when it's hot. I expected that. It's a "puck" style clutch, and it's on/off. I have it adjusted the way I like it at the track, and that's not good for a "smooth" takeoff either.

For the last couple weeks I've been BACK to 3.27's, and it's a huge pain in the ***. It really did make the car hard to drive. Now maybe I'm just used to 4.10's and don't know what I'm doing, but I've tried to get the hang of it, and it doesn't go to well most of the time. When the clutch gets hot, its gonna be a rough takeoff. I'll be back to 4.10's soon, and I can't wait!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

I will race you, all mighty master of the 2v motor.

and on another side note, "You are right, I am the reason that "most" 2v cars are slow... I designed the heads and I didn't think in any way before putting my combonation together, I just slapped it together from parts forum members were willing to ship me for free. I have no experence with 2Vs, I don't own a blown/cammed car, and I am 12 years old... "

that made me giggle lol
Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

im glad that you people realize the mistakes you have made and are making.... your stupid if you think these cars drive like stock when cammed. end of story.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

2000GT4.6, don't F with this guy. He's got the fasterest N/A 2v in the world. Beats sprayed LS1's, and my car could never touch it. His parts are better than mine, and He knows his ****.

Seriously tho, but I'm gonna have to agree that it sucks to drive around. I drove with 4.10's for 9 months, 3 of those being with the Spec stage 3. The Spec just made it all around akward to lauch it easy. The car DOES buck and kick and complain. ESPECIALLY when it's hot. I expected that. It's a "puck" style clutch, and it's on/off. I have it adjusted the way I like it at the track, and that's not good for a "smooth" takeoff either.

For the last couple weeks I've been BACK to 3.27's, and it's a huge pain in the ***. It really did make the car hard to drive. Now maybe I'm just used to 4.10's and don't know what I'm doing, but I've tried to get the hang of it, and it doesn't go to well most of the time. When the clutch gets hot, its gonna be a rough takeoff. I'll be back to 4.10's soon, and I can't wait!

Were talking about a custom cammed/much wilder combonation though with a really stiff clutch... not just a stage 1 or stage 2 cam.

its just not going to cause so much trouble that you can't easily get around until the gears get put it... its just not that big of a deal.

Its not going to be "right" but its not going to hurt anything or be impossible to drive on teh stock 3.27s... and thats what he is asking.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

im glad that you people realize the mistakes you have made and are making.... your stupid if you think these cars drive like stock when cammed. end of story.
If your car drives/rides/runs like ****, its because the setup is improper, not because you have cams.

I have had the cams in for almost right at 3 years now, and have had the blower with the cams coming up on 2 years. The only issues I have ever had with it are problems with idle, and that was because I dicked around with the handheld and set the idle around 750 RPM... at 900+ it idles fine (lope/choppy, but fine) and i have zero drivablilty issues.

Nobody is "making mistakes" and nobody is admitting anything... because there is nothing to admit. If your car idles/runs like ****, slap your tuner and find someone else to set it up properly. My tuner has never even seen the car and it idles/drives just as smooth as stock... if it wasn't for the heavy stage 3 clutch your grandma could drive it with 420 WHP (assuming your grandma can drive a stick at all).
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

what is different about an aftermarket clutch???????????? you cant slip them, that is the point im tryin to make it requires alot of slippage which will kill a clutch if its done long term... get over it son, your wrong and are probly an idiot... now go cry about it in the corner and leave to advice to people who know what they are sayin.

Quick Reply: Can I run stock gears w/ stage 2 cams for a little?