4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

She's Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: She's Overheating

ORIGINAL: Stangatic

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

The part that I was saying was a "stupid idea" and one of the dumbest thingsI have heard, was taking the top hose off the radiator and waiting to see if the thermostat would open when the car heats up. Do you know how much hot hot fluid is going to come rushing out when/if that thermostat opens?

If someone plans on doing this, please video record it so we can laugh at you later. Cover up any Ford related items so you don't cause any more harm/shame to the ford name too.
I told him to take it off of the radiator, not the thermostat housing. You can aim the hose at the ground, so I guess if you're looking to make an America's funniest video you'll have to come up with a new idea.
That's whatI was talking about. You try aiming and controlling a hose with 160+ temp coolant gushing out. I hope he has a 5 gallon bucket nearby and hospital for the 3rd degree burns.
I've done this more times then you can count and funny I haven't had any of these problems. Plus I find it funny, what do you think it drains the entire cooling system in one shot?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I know the coolant will not come out in one shot, but I will not take long. I just wanted to say it's not that smart of an idea and a(novice) personreally runs the danger of hurting themselvs. Does anyone disagree?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

^it will not take long
Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I know the coolant will not come out in one shot, but I will not take long. I just wanted to say it's not that smart of an idea and a(novice) personreally runs the danger of hurting themselvs. Does anyone disagree?
I will agree with you that if you are stairing at your engine wondering where the elves that run the thing are, I probably won't do that.

I would say lets stop jacking this poor guys thread and see if we can't get his problem answered.

If the fan isn't coming on then more then likely seems to be your problem. The only thing that seems funny is if it's not that warm outside, the car really shouldn't need to much of the fan's assistance to sustain a somewhat normal temperature at idle.

I guess I've never needed to replace the fan motor but I would try finding the entire assembly at a junk yard. It may be cheaper and easier.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

^ Yea I am just going to stop. I was rereading your postings and I realize that you are not reading things correctly and you contradict your self. You're the one who told him that he would have a bunch of coolant shoot out of the upper radiator hose andI never said to take the hose off the thermostat housing. Anyways,the person doing the posting and my self just thought thatidea was a little funny and to me, dumb. I was advising him to do something safer but I think he too realized there was a better way to check the thermostat rather then taking the top hose of the radiator and waiting for the "coolant to shoot out." I am sorry if I offended you by calling your idea dumb.

Anyways, Emann0007, I agree with the above in that at this moment it's probably your fan.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Its your fan Emann...

Car heating up gradually when stationary is commonly caused by:
1. low coolant
2. insufficient airflow thru radiator

Sounds like you ruled out the first one. Hit the junkyard and go.