4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a few questions before an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions before an upgrade

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I am always a fan of since it is tore down you might as well go all out while you are in there.... to save yourself from having to go through the pain later... but then mabey that is why my car is still mostly sock!

Definatley the headers and pipes, ya gotta update the intake at least... I say the heads 2... then ya might as well go for some cams.. lol... go with what ya got budgeted!

As far as if it needs alot of technical know how... tearing the car to the heads i say yes! not easy...not fun... but a good book will give you the step by step. I hear the headers are a PITA, though i really dont think it would be THAT hard... especially if you have a lift!
yeah i agree with ya there, its my budget thats teh problem... lol.
i found some ebay pi heads heads but its either thoes or tires, as it sits now im going for the tires.
if i were to change out the heads i prolly wouldent do it my self. i dont trust me enough.
the exaust headers i can do thoe, that way if i *** up it wont really hurt anything. it seems to be very straigh forward so i think ill be aight.
ill check for a book on the 4.6
thanks for the info
Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I'm not a mechanic by any means. I don't think the head tear down was too difficult at all.

The reinstall is starting soon though, and my opinion might change.

Of course, I'm only doing the passenger side head, and that one is probably easier since you don't have to deal with working around the starter or mess with the oil dipstick.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

I'm not a mechanic by any means. I don't think the head tear down was too difficult at all.

The reinstall is starting soon though, and my opinion might change.

Of course, I'm only doing the passenger side head, and that one is probably easier since you don't have to deal with working around the starter or mess with the oil dipstick.
did u have to drop the kmember and jack the motor up at all?
or is there just a lot of bs i have to take off?
iv heard both..
Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

It really depends on how mechanically minded you are. For the most part I really had no car experience before I purchased my mustang. I literally had no idea what I was doing the first time I took the engine out to do the PI swap. You just kind of learn as you go. If you are one of those people that can't tell your *** from a hole in the ground, I would probably take the car somewhere.

Couple of things you can do to make your life easier if you are planning on doing it yourself. First, put all of your bolts and nuts in to labeled bags. Second, unless you have a great memory I would take pictures as you go so you will have something to reference when you are putting it back together.

The heads can be swapped without doing anything with the positioning of the engine. Do note also that are head bolts are torque to yield bolts so you need to replace them every time.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
junkstang5.0

The LT install is a PITA. If you can wait do the heads and headers at the same time and it will cost less if you are paying a shop. If boost is your worry with high comp. just lower it. A good tune should get 400 to the rear.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

aight thanks for all your info guys.