4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
CoMaNdOrAcHt

Default Lowering question

Hello stang enthusiasts out there.

I've recently decided that I want to lower my mustang. It's a 02 Mustang GT Convertible.

Now I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to cars; I haven't even been driving for too long.

Now how much of a lower would you personally suggest? Yes, I want a slick lower, but isn't there the risk of the wheels rubbing on the wheelwells if I lower it too much?

Will springs for a convertile and a hardtop vary? I've seen some sites advertise springs just for convertibles and some sites advertise for GT's alltogether.

Lastly, who do you think makes the best brand of spring? Eibach seems to be the most popular, but they're also the most expensive. Am I buying quality or just the name?

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Lowering question

For spring rates varying between a 'vert set of springs and a coupes set of springs...I do not know. Someone else can answer that for you.

I would suggest not going more than 1 1/2 inches lower. You already have a rough riding car, and having that you are driving a convertible, your ride is already worse than a Coupe AND your car is flexing a whole lot more. Which means those little bumps and pebbles on the road are going to rattle your brain loose from your brain stem.

If you don't go further than 1 1/2, you will not need caster/camber plates ($$$$) and you can put 18 inch wheels on, even 19's and not rub. You should also look into a set of subframe connectors if you lower your car (you should get them anyways).

With Eibach, you are buying quality but you are also purchasing the name too. You can get other name brand springs for less that are just as good.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:52 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

Ford racing also makes an excellent set of springs.......but they cost about the same as eibach. i have eibach and i'm extremely happy with them.

one thing you absolutely MUST consider before you do this.

the condition of the roads that you do most of your driving on. if they're bad think twice about it. they are cool looking lowered and they handle a little better butyou sacrifice a LOT of comfort.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I went with Steeda sport springs on my '98 GT. Check out www.steeda.com for lots of info on suspensions. They're right though, no more than 1 1/2 inches lower max. Otherwise you need to invest in lots of other suspension goodies so not to screw up your geometry. Check out my pics if you are interested in seeing how the Steeda springs lowered and raked my car rear to front: https://mustangforums.com/photosearc...filter=&page=1

Good luck with your ride and enjoy!
Old 04-09-2005, 05:28 AM
cjs97gt

I bought mine lowered and it rides like a tank[:@]. That has to be bad for your rims/tries/frontend right? Also any tips on what i have to do to fix this would be great.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Skanks03Stang

I have Eibach Sportlines on my 03 GT and it looks great. The ride isnt to bad just dont run over anything taller than about 4 inches high. I got my springs for about $240 and $100 for installation, i think $340 or anywhere around that is cheap for the look and the handling that you get.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

i cut mine and am very happy with them.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:50 PM
whitehorsegt
1st Gear Member

Aight mang....for ur convertible i would deff go with the H&R super sports springs lowers the car 1.5 all around....my buddy had it on his convertible and it looked awesome...it wont rub at all...i have Ford Racing Performance Parts C-springs (1.5 lowering).....but if your gonna lower ur car 1.5 or lower u diff need caster camber plates to adjustment ur alignment and camber...my front suspension is mostly redone....and ill tell ya it costs alot of money to get ur car riding the way it is stock after ur touch the suspension....here is a list of my upper suspension.....MM c/c plates, MM strut tower bar, Tokico struts/shocks, Energy Suspension bushings, Frpp c-springs, Steeda Endlinks.....