4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brand New TR3650 Installed, Rattling sound coming from it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

Default Brand New TR3650 Installed, Rattling sound coming from it?

Hey all,
Just finished my auto to manual swap. I put in a FRPP Iron flywheel, FRPP King Cobra clutch, TR3650 Tranny (Fresh rebuild, bought on ebay) filled with gm synchromesh. So I started the car without the dust cover on the shifter and I hear a rattling sound when my foot is off the clutch completely, in Neutral. It happenswhen I rev the car up to about 1800-2200 and hold the rev. It sounds like its coming from under the shifter but Im not sure. I havent gotten on it yet cause I have to break in the clutch but it also happens when I drove it up and down the street. So I got under it while it was running and its kinda loud.

Any Ideas?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Brand New TR3650 Installed, Rattling sound coming from it?

Hrrmm.. it happens when you're in neutral and stops when you push the clutch in? Does it do this when you're driving down the street and you coast? Almost sounds like maybe a bad throw-out bearing.. did you change that out when you did the auto/manual swap? Ford stocker throw out bearings are notoriously bad, and for some reason it always happens with the 3650 cars.. This just guessing brudda, since I can't hear or drive your car, but it might at least be worth looking into to make sure..
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

Yea the T/O Bearing came new with the clutch. I dont think that is it though cause I can hear it and its seperate from the other noise im hearing, I was just under the car and it seems like its coming from the rear of the tranny.

Could fluid be an issue? I put a little under 3 quarts in it and the manual calls for 3.2. Im going to get more tomorrow but I didnt think it would be that noisycause its only 2/10ths of a quart low. But maybe it could???
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't think so. I'm far from a tranny expert, but I honestly don't think only being 2 tenths of a quart low would be that serious a problem. Some guys purposely run their up to half a quart low, so you could probably ask around for other opinions from guys that know more than I do, but I wouldn't get your drawers in a twist over the fluid just yet..

Rear of the tranny eh? I'm not really sure.. the only other thing that would make that kind of a rattling noise inside the tranny that I could think of would maybe be either a bad synchro, or a bad shift-fork.. Are you having any trouble getting into/out of any gears? The 2nd gear synchros in the 3650 are also known for going out prematurely.. But then as you said it's a new re-build.. definitely weird brudda..

I say that about the shift fork and synchro because i had a couple of 3650's in my mach, and before the second time it grenaded it was making a loud chirping noise whenever I would let off of the clutch and coast, or if I was just sitting there in neutral it would do the same. Turns out Dallas Mustang f'ed up the synchro's when they did the re-build. I'm not saying that's what happened with yours cause your problem sounds a little different, just something to consider broham..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

Well I havent tried hammering on it yet cause I wanted to break the clutch in really well, but I definitly put it through all the gears and it shifts mint. I really feels nice, thats why im wondering if maybe its just loud and I gotta get used to it. But anyways I just drained the fluid out and only 2.5 quarts came out so Im lost. Maybe its just the nature of the beast.

But either way its soooooo sweet to finally have a manual tranny! Now if it would stop snowing I can actually start driving it.

Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it aligned (put new 18" Shelbys on it and Air Ride) and to have them adjust the clutch cable properly so ill ask them when im over there.

Thanks for the feedback man, I appreciate it!