4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01' GT automatic transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 AM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Default 01' GT automatic transmission question

I have an o1' GT with an aout trans, which I have had a problem with twice. My car was covered under warrenty (aftermarket) the first time I had it fixed through them, but they told me that they were not covering it this time. The company told me that there was no way it should have broke so quick (4,000 miles), and that I must be beating it because they seen rubber in the wheel wells. That being said, I will get on with the actual problem that my car is having. I brought my car to the Ford dealer several months back, and they told me that they needed to replace therear tranny sealto fix my problem. The dealer fixed the problem (or so I thought), but the problem has now resurfaced.I geta vibration in the steering wheel, and from under the car at low speeds. Once I reach higher speeds it smooths out, and the transmission shifts perfectly normal through all of this.The reartranny sealis nowleaking again, and the drive shaft moves allaround near the tail shaft housing (very loose). With the warrenty company backing out of covering this problem right now, I have to get this fixed asap and deal with them later. I brought it to the local Mustang tuning shop, and they believe that the rear housing on the transmission needs to be replaced. The shop called the nearby Ford dealer, and ordered the housing for me which cost $154.00. They also mentioned that an out of balance drive shaft, can also cause damage to the housing and seal on the tranny. I was going to get a FordMotorsport aluminum drivshaft soon anyway, so I went ahead and ordered this as well. Has anyone on here ever heard of this problem, or any tranny experts that have a solution to my problem?

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 01' GT automatic transmission question

I installed the housing and aluminum driveshaft today, which I hope will correct my problems. I was hoping to catchthe opinion of a tranny expert here on the boards, please chime in with any help or advice.

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

let me know if that remedies your situation. I also have a slightly leaking rear seal @ the tranny, with quite a bit of play at the tail shaft. looking to fix it as well. have you checked the play on the tail shaft yet with the new housing installed?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Before we installed the rear housing back onto the tranny, the tailshaft had play both up and down as well as side to side. I am not talking crazy play, but I do not know what kind of movement there is supposed to be on this transmission. After installing the rear housing and gasket, we slid the driveshaft into place and there was no play whatsoever. I am taking the car to a Firestone center tomorrow to have the filter changed, as well a complete flush and fluid change. I am hoping this will cure everything with the tranny, the flush and filter change was highly recomended by my mechanic friend. My friend told me that the first time that they changed just the rear housing seal, they should have done the flush and filter change. He told me that there could be fine pieces of metal moving throughout the system, and these could have ruined the rear seal for a second time. I will keep you posted if this works out well for me this time.

Dave.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

cool thanks for the input, i think i will look into replacing my rear housing and gasket. did you replace the rear seal or anything along with the housing?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

The rear housing came with the seal already in place, but the housing gasket did not come with it. I paid around $154.00 for the housing with the seal, and I believe the gasket was about $8.00. The complete system flush, filter and fluid change was $170.00 at Firestone service center. I have done several hard launches since everything was completed, and there is no vibration whatsoever. Thestock trannychirps second gear nice, and all shifts seem alot smoother since the work was completed. I am hoping that this will be strong enough to handle my Kenne Bell supercharger on order, but I have an extra tranny on standby just in case. I am probably going to go ahead and rebuild the extra tranny in a few weeks, I willhave it builtstrong enough so it will not fail. I only paid a hundred dollars for the spare tranny, it has fourty-thousand miles on it. Good luck with your pony, I will post if I run into any problems with mine.

Dave.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

ahh a kenne belle, more than enough to put you back in your seat. I have a neighbor who is a transmission mechanic who I will talk to about this, maybe I can just replace the seal in the housing rather than the housing. I believe theres a tsb about the seal and or the bushing in the housing. either way mines not too bad, i think some vibration results from the play in the tailshaft up/down/side to side but its livable atm. Glad you got it fixed, and not for an arm and a leg.

edit*

I just remembered I had a broken tranny mount awhile back which wasnt helping the seal/bushing in the extension housing.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 AM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

I did not even look into weather or not there was a tsb, reguarding the seal or housing. Let me know if he tells you anything about it, I would be curious to know if Ford had anything on it.

Thanks, Dave
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

the tsb i found was for 97 mustangs/police vehicles and f150's equipped with the 4r70w and a certain driveline length. Seems like the bushing/seal is something that can commonly go on the 4r70w's if im not mistaken, especially at the rate some of us drive.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

I have not had any problems arise yet, and I have been doing some practice launches lately. The practice launches will mean nothing once the Kenne Bell is installed in my car though. Thanks again for your input and information, I will let you know if I run into the same problem again.

Dave.