4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A/F ratio problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 PM
olesch
1st Gear Member

Default A/F ratio problems

I have recently installed my Paxton Novi along with a Autometer Wideband gauge.

I have installed the gauge all according to instructions, however I had some problems with it from the beginning due to bad ground. But now I have grounded it directly on the battery itself.

My problem is that the A/F ratios are not good. At idle it is about 14.6-14.8 and when driving ordinary it is about the same sometimes it goes down to 13.x but that is oftenly when the clutch is pressed and it also sometimes goes up to 15.

But at WOT the A/F ratio is between 14.6- 15.3 usually 14.6- 15.0 when it should be close to 11.7

When I first installed the gauge, i grounded it in the firewall. At that time the gauge showed values between 13-16 at idle and at WOT i TINKit was close to 11.7. But the problem then was that due to noise the gauge at some times freezed itself at 14.7.

What I have done recently is that i have removed the supercharger due to inspections in our countryand then installed it again. I have also reinstalled the tune. I also experienced some trouble with the car when I made a motor wash, there came water in the spark plugs and coils which i have cleaned.

The tune which I am using is a E-tune from Steeda with my Xcalibrator2.

This really worries me, I know that it is verry bad that the A/F is 14.6-15 during WOT. Could it be that the gauge is damaged? What is your gauges showing? And what are they showing for numbers during idle and driving?

By the way, the car seems to perform quite well, I have driven the car hard at some times (know it is stupid du to my bad A/F ratios) I raced a new Porsche GT3 on the highway when I was documenting mu A/F values and I pulled him.

Everything seems to perform good, the car shows no signs of lack in performance, neither while driving regularly, smooth idle and no trouble codes.

I really need help in this!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A/F ratio problems

At idle the a/f ratio should bounce between 14.5 and 15.2 due to the switching function of the o2 sensors. At part throttle/cruise it should be around 14.5 all the way up to 16.0 depending on how good of gas mileage you want. Yes at WOT you should be around 11.7 with a supercharger.

Make sure you did not hit the mode switch on the guage which can be throwing you off. If you didnt I would try to disconnect and reconnect.

Mine is hooked like this
12v switched source in the convertable top fuse hole (not needed in my coupe)#20
ground used one of the screws that holds the under dash fuse box in
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Mine is grounded to the ground wire coming from the radio. When I was running an o/r pipe, the a/f bounced back and forth between 14.8 and 15.1, but with the cats it shows a steady 14.8 (thats at idle and cruising, basically anything but WOT). When you shift or let the engine slow you down, there will be a lean spike but thats normal. When I go WOT the a/f drops to about 11.2-11.3 which is rich, but I haven't had a chance to fine tune it. You want anywhere between 11.4 and 11.7 for a safe tune. I wouldn't go too much over 11.7 especially on the stock bottom end. Its possible that the gauge is stuck, but I highly doubt it would conviniently be stuck only when you go WOT.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 AM
olesch
1st Gear Member

Then everything seems to be fine except for WOT.

If i now have managed to hit a mode switch, how do i reset the gauge? I assume by removing the ground?

I will go out today and try to datalog some with my Xcal2 and see what numbers i get.

I will log:

short term fuel trim bank
Spark, timing
MAF Counts
Fuel Pump Duty Cycle
Intake Air Temperature
Throttle position
Engine Load

Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
olesch
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olesch

Then everything seems to be fine except for WOT.

If i now have managed to hit a mode switch, how do i reset the gauge? I assume by removing the ground?

I will go out today and try to datalog some with my Xcal2 and see what numbers i get.

I will log:

short term fuel trim bank
Spark, timing
MAF Counts
Fuel Pump Duty Cycle
Intake Air Temperature
Throttle position
Engine Load

I finished datalogging today and got some interesting numbers. I logged above variables and according to this link :http://www.tricktuners.com/advanced_sct_datalogging.htm the short term fuel trim bank multiplied with 14,64 will give you the air fuel mixture commanded by the ecu and should match the wideband data.

In my case at WOT my short term fuel trim bank was 0,8046875 during WOT. Multiplied with 14,64 equals 11,780625

So according to the ECU the A/F should be 11,78 but my autometer wideband is showing 14,6-15

Anybody with real tuning experience or other experience, can you please give me a clue on what is going on? The atometer Wideband beeing damaged or the ECU showing wrong numbers? Am i safe or what?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 AM
olesch
1st Gear Member

Bump!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

get your car dyno tuned do not use a canned tunewith F/I you are asking for trouble.