4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem Expert Help:

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Problem Expert Help:

ORIGINAL: 1vryfststang

Ok here is the deal. I have been helping my friend install his cams. Well tonite we finshed the project but faced a problem. After we hooked up the battery cable we got in the car and hook up the diablo. It stated unable to read vehicle....then I noticed the mileage would not show up....=-( I check and double checked all the wiring...there was only one thing that was changed LISTEN close I am going to try my best to explain this without a picture. On the front cover both the left top and top right side there is 2 wires on opposite sides that come from the wiring harness.....with plugs.....that plug into a plastic piece that then is connected to left top and right top front cover bolts appear to be palstic with ceramic in them since they were broke I looked at them. I ASSUMED they were grounds. When he tired to remove them they broke so I simply just cut the wire and shaved it and wraped it around the bolt and torqued it down. Could this be the problem? What are those stupid things anyways. Thanks GREATLY! He really wants to get his car going soon so any quick responses would be very appreciated.
Almost sounds like CAM position sensor plugs.

If you plugged the battery in when you torqued the wires down to the bolts you could've shorted it. Never assume ground/energized wires when it comes to electricity. Always use a voltmeter. Cam sensors are very sensitive and if that's what those wires go to you may have fried the circuit.

A straight up ground would not have ceramic in it. It would have been bolted directly to the engine or the bolt as you ended up doing. Try unbolting those wires and see if at least the ODO comes back on.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

Why wouldI have to buy a new diablo?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
jackson5o

hi i am having problems finding what year my motor is i have all cast num but can not tell what series of num tell me the year have been to many sites but still nothing thanks jackson5o
Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

With the ignition on the Theft light is blinking rapidly.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If your diablo is loaded into the car and you take it to ford they will reset the computer and you will lose the diablo tune. The diablo is locked to your car and can only be unlocked if you pull the diablo tune out of your car.

Does your Key Fob work to unlock the car and open the trunk?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

cam position sensor problems would either start and run rough or not start but there would be no dashes in the mileage in the dash
Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Here are a few test for you to do.

See if your cigarette lighter works.

Check your fuses http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/2000_fuse.html

Check your power to your OBD II port, number 16 pin right side of skinny end. http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

I took it to Ford. The PATS system was activated which will not allow it to start. The problem is that the computer will not communicate to reset. What happened is that my diablosport didn't like the PATS engaging or the computer tried to reflash and due to the diablosport being on my car it has burnt the processor. I watched everything the service guy did at ford and this is what is wrong they aren't making this up. So i have to buy a new PCM because it is VIN coded and i cant get one off a salvage car.One of the mechanics has seen this happen quite a bit with aftermarket tuners installed. So i just bought myself $615 in repairs............
Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

They are lying to you. You can buy a pcm from a salvaged car. Install it yourself in their parking lot and then have them reflash it so your key works. Don't let them sucker you. I lost my stock tunes for my cars when my laptop crashed and Sniper just sent me new ones that work.

What caused your PATS to activate? I have never heard of what your posted. But it really sounds like complete BS that they are feeding you. How could a tune that is exactly like the stock one with minor changes burn it up? I can see if it was a chip maybe. If you pay the $615 in repairs you better stand right there while they do all the work. They will probably just change a fuse and be done if you dont.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

Ive heard that PATS can activate from something simple as the battery being unplugged too long from a the guy that towed it. He told me it happens fairly often with fords. Ive heard that transmission work can cause it. I did disconnect the quadrant to get the cable out of the way of the valve cover. In doing that i couldhave messed with the engage switch.

Quick Reply: Problem Expert Help: