4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

H pipe keeps leaking on driver side.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Default H pipe keeps leaking on driver side.

Got a MAC o/r H. I have a HUGE exhaust leak on the driver side, where the H connects to the header. I have like 1/4 gap between the header and the H pipe, the car sounds like trash. I'm tightening the crap out of it, I don't know whats up, anyone have any ideas? I'll have a lift available to me tomorrow so i'll be able to have a better look at it then.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:14 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H pipe keeps leaking on driver side.

if something isn't lined up right or just something is wrong with the exhaust, i don't know what else could be wrong if it just came out of nowhere
Old 06-21-2008, 03:39 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I've got a leak on the same side with my Prochamber, mine is not near as big though.

I've heard the stock exhaust manifold studs don't allow you to tighten down an aftermarket midpipe enough to get it to seal. This only happens to the driver's side and is JUST WHAT I'VE HEARD. I really need a solution to this too because I'm tired of the damn leak [:@]
Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Man, the car sounds like a machine gun.
I heard there was suppose to be a 'sleeve' or something that comes with the H pipe, i'll give MAC a call and see if they can help me.

I'm about to impact the crap out the nut
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

On my mac h pipe I orginally tightened the bolts down with a 5/8's socket, which would slip off when i got it so tight, which lead to a slight leak from the passenger side, I ended up buying the appropriate 15mm socket and getting it tightened, and bye bye machine gun sound, lol. The machine gun sound was ridiculous when I was catless. My guess is you are either doing the same thing, or didnt line things up right. If i were you 'd disconnect all connections on the midpipe before the header-midpipe connection and then try to re-connect it that way. You should be able to slide the midpipe onto the studs to where it feels tight, and then bolt it up.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

oh no, you didnt get the sleeve on the driver side huh? Another thing I did was attempted to bolt the driver side without the sleeve, i ended up lowering my driver side connection and installing the sleeve. Lol I had all types of fun with my midpipe.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

what the hell is the sleeve? And where the heck can i get it? My goodness, i have like a 1/4" gap between the header and the driver side H pipe.

I gotta admit, given all the circumstances, it sounds frikin BAD ***. Really, it's still not loud enough for my taste. I want it so loudI cant hear ANYTHING of what passengers or the radio is saying, and its probably going to get quieter once i sort this mess out.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:32 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

imo o/r pipes are too loud, at cruising on the highway i couldnt hear my radio unless it was blasted, and it was like that for cars driving next to me, lol.In all honesty they are meant for o/r applications, I think they should remain on only o/r applications. I received my sleeve from mac with the midpipe. If I were you I'd call mac and tell them about it, if youre willing to wait for them to ship it out, otherwise ask them the specs on it and check autozone/checkers, they probably wont have it though. I know its because the mac connection is 2.5 and the stock header connection is 2.25, so the sleeve is supposed to make up the difference.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Oh. well that'll explain it, eh?
Aren't all H pipe connections 2.5? I'll def. be giving them a call.
Thank you
Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

YES I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD THREAD. Adding to this thread, as no one seems to have found a proper solution:

CONFIRMED: The stock exhaust manifold studs have a stopper on them that does not allow the flange to be tightened enough, resulting in a constant leak on the driver's side. The solution to this is to replace the exhaust manifold studs... get a pair of new ones, and matching nuts and simply replace them when doing your midpipe swap and save yourself the hassle!