4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil is mixing with coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil is mixing with coolant...

Yesterday i noticed that my coolant is disgusting. I recently did the PI swap and now my coolant is ****ed. My first thought was **** a headgasket is ****ed. But my oil in the pan looks fine, the car doesn't over heat(doesn't even reach the m in normal) and the car blows no smoke at all from the tail pipes. I did have the heads off the car for a while behind my house surrounded by trees which i thought maybe pollen or something got in the coolant passeges in the block and the coolant is just dirty. Either way im going to completely drain and flush the coolant and see if it happens again. Is it possible for the coolant and oil to mix and it not be a headgasket? I did have a intake manifold gasket rip on me after the swap not sure if that means anything. And how bad would it be to drive if just the oil was mixing with my coolant and not the other way around. I know it needs to be fixed but i start auto tech school in sep so maybe if it can wait ill do it at school.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil is mixing with coolant...

weird, coulda been a real dirty manifold if you got it used, unless you cleaned the runners in it before installtion.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

its one of 3 things or even all 3 but not likely.

one a head gasket inthat caseyou need to pressure test it they make a simple kit anyone can use.

two intake that again id do the same for

third a cracked head

Sounds to me like you may have caught it early enough to prevent any real damage.Either way though coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant is bad.

If you tore the intake gasket thats a good start to check.For future reference do not use parts you get or damage yourself this could have costed you an engine.If it hasnt yet

Also to help you better try using that dye for the coolant to detect leaks it works very well.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Sounds to me like you got some oil in the water jackets while pulling the head off. It happens all the time. If it was a blown head gasket or cracked head you would have water in your oil as well. It would go both ways.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Monday i will be completely draining and flushing the cooling system and see what happens. If it is the head gasket it would have to be where the oil is under extreme preassure to push it into a coolant passage. The only oil feed hole is on the side and is far from coolant passages but i guess its still possible. Either way my fingers are crossed and hoping for the best.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 AM
jhell00
Possible Scammer

intake gasket?