4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dragon Racing 100MM oval throttle body?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dragon Racing 100MM oval throttle body?!

heres what i dont understand.. someone clarify it for me..

a 2001 bullitt mustangs intake is a twin 57mm intake, thus having 114mm of space. This gave the bullitt 5 more hp over a stock GT

so if you had a lower intake, would the 100mm tb be better? I ask this because iv always read and preached the idea that 70mm for n/a 75 for f/i. and its been tested by companies and even by one of our members(cliffyk, who is no slouch with numbers) that 70mm is better for most bolt on n/a cars.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

a 2001 bullitt mustangs intake is a twin 57mm intake, thus having 114mm of space. This gave the bullitt 5 more hp over a stock GT

so if you had a lower intake, would the 100mm tb be better? I ask this because iv always read and preached the idea that 70mm for n/a 75 for f/i. and its been tested by companies and even by one of our members(cliffyk, who is no slouch with numbers) that 70mm is better for most bolt on n/a cars.
Heres how I saw it. The +5 hp rating over a GT was so that people could justify paying 3-4,000 more for what was basically a GT with a few suspension pieces and a Ford catback. In fact, a point I want to bring up is that the extra hp may have very well come from the catback for all we know. Ive never seen/heard of a GT owner that put a bullit intake on their car and suddenly picked up any power. I liken it to a PI intake that heatsoaks worse than the plastic ones. [:'(]

The reason you preach to others 70mm for n/a and 75 for f/i is because for f/i you want to have as little restriction and possible and give the intake side as much volume as possible. After all, its just getting rammed in by the compressor (s/c or turbo). On an n/a application you want a smaller 70mm to keep velocity up since youre not getting any outside assistance from a compressor. Using a 100mm tb on a n/a application would be like turning a hose on and just letting it run. It comes out slowly, but still has lots of volume. Now going to a 70mm is like putting your thumb over the opening of the hose. The same amount of water has to move through a smaller opening and it sprays out at a much higher velocity. Same principal in use in the intake system. Volume is traded for velocity so that n/a cars can keep the air moving in.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

Heres how I saw it. The +5 hp rating over a GT was so that people could justify paying 3-4,000 more for what was basically a GT with a few suspension pieces and a Ford catback. In fact, a point I want to bring up is that the extra hp may have very well come from the catback for all we know. Ive never seen/heard of a GT owner that put a bullit intake on their car and suddenly picked up any power. I liken it to a PI intake that heatsoaks worse than the plastic ones. [:'(]

The reason you preach to others 70mm for n/a and 75 for f/i is because for f/i you want to have as little restriction and possible and give the intake side as much volume as possible. After all, its just getting rammed in by the compressor (s/c or turbo). On an n/a application you want a smaller 70mm to keep velocity up since youre not getting any outside assistance from a compressor. Using a 100mm tb on a n/a application would be like turning a hose on and just letting it run. It comes out slowly, but still has lots of volume. Now going to a 70mm is like putting your thumb over the opening of the hose. The same amount of water has to move through a smaller opening and it sprays out at a much higher velocity. Same principal in use in the intake system. Volume is traded for velocity so that n/a cars can keep the air moving in.

lol i know why the 70 is better, im just saying...how does a bullitt get away with that much air comming in.. i mean they do have more torque, you cant tell me a muffler helped THAT much.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Catbacks dont add power? I can put my stock exhaust one back on my car right now and Id probably lose 20 hp on an FI setup, granted I dont have any cats.

I really think its more along the lines of rating the bullits up so they can help the buyer justify spending more money on what is basically a bolt-on GT. Same thing that happened with the LS1 Vettes and F-bodies of the same year except not as bad because those motors were IDENTICAL. Sure the intake helped add power/change power under the curve, but the fastest stock time ever run by a bullit and the fastest stock time ever run by a GT is going to be very minute which would advance the "over-rated" theory I have.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

they can get away with it because they have two throttle bodies, that are small and i would imagine seperate runners so they can have more air and keep up the velocity of the air entering the engine.
That plenum cant possibly make the5 Hp gain on the bullitt on all its own. maybe on a cold day, if they started it up and put it rigt on the dyno. 3-5 HP to the crank with high flow mufflers seems pretty reasonable.
If anything, that plenum will cause a 5 HP loss. its no good unless you plan on nitrous
Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

Catbacks dont add power? I can put my stock exhaust one back on my car right now and Id probably lose 20 hp on an FI setup, granted I dont have any cats.

I really think its more along the lines of rating the bullits up so they can help the buyer justify spending more money on what is basically a bolt-on GT. Same thing that happened with the LS1 Vettes and F-bodies of the same year except not as bad because those motors were IDENTICAL. Sure the intake helped add power/change power under the curve, but the fastest stock time ever run by a bullit and the fastest stock time ever run by a GT is going to be very minute which would advance the "over-rated" theory I have.

i didnt say that, lol i said MUFFLERS. but i see what your saying..

its just something that got me thinkin thats why i asked