4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

torque converter install price

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

Default torque converter install price

exactly what it said....

im looking into getting a torque converter in the future how much should it cost me to get it installed?

also what rpm stall should i get?

ill also prob. get a shift kit as well. maybe do the instlal myself(transgo said it has a video and uses simple hand tools for install).......but if you guys know how much for install of that too

thanks a lot
Old 08-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

Be by the hour.

Shouldnt be much more to have a pro install the shift kit since it will be out and on a bench while the convertor goes in.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Every shop will charge different. You just need to call around.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

anyone else?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Dapimpilator

I'm wanting to do these 2 mods as well has anyone here gotten these done to there car? Not trying to hijack thread just also wondering.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

In my area it costs $250 for the swap but like others have said will vary with location...I would go with no less than 3000-3200 stall. I am going with 3700. I put the order in back in June and have not gotten the parts yet so I would normally have told you how it has worked for me but the guy who I went with has been working on a magazine shoot for a transmission he was building that was going into a 03 mach that runs 9's so I told him to take his time. My dad's 8 stall car garage with a lift in it is occupied right now for months anyway so I am really in no hurry to do the converter change. For my patience the guy is going to build me a custom tune for FREE that normally would have costed me a few hundred $$$$. So most likely I will be waiting till next year to install because I am going to be doing the work myself anyway as far as putting the converter in. To satisfy my hunger in the mean time I had 4.30's installed and I'm having a blast!!! I am also doing some exterior mods, but in a nutshell you won't regret doing these kind of mods if you have the money...though good converters aren't cheap!!!

Dapimpilator I have not gotten mine in yet but if you keep checking out my sig I will put installed next to my mods and post vids of how all my mods work out for me. I would say by next spring I should have everything installed including the j-mod and special custom tune that the guy is doing for me. Not the quick answer you probably was hoping for but do the converter and valve body mod...from what I have heard it is a night and day difference just like gears add to the car!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

so what exactly are the benefits from a stall/torque converter besides stalling it up at the track, how much more power can i expect and what else can i expect? i wont be doing it for a few months when i get some pay checks. so i got time to research

thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

The benefits of having one is to be able to get you in the peak torque range of your motor off the line as soon as possible. When you have a higher stall converter you may have to do other things to maximize the converter's full potential like suspension mods and drag radials...for the track. What you are basically doing is getting the car into much more readible power on tap...sometimes much more than what the car was designed for resulting in poor traction. Manuals can leave the line at just about any rpm they want...traction limited though. Autos will only leave the line at whatever the flash stall is rated at...but there are so many factors that can determine what rpm you will be able to launch at...tires and suspension being the top factors.

You also said besides track applications, well...if your at a stop light or stop sign and want to leave hard on the street then a stall is the answer. Launcing is the key thing a stall is going to help you on...it will take practice to see what rpm launch works best with your mods and your driving style but your sig indicates that you are modified a little more than stock so just make sure when you get a converter that all your mods are given to the builder because they need all the info they can get on your car to make the stall work right. Increasing horsepower will also increase your stall speed too, so if you are going to be increasing horsepower anytime soon you might want to wait...the stall should be one of the last things you get so that it can work well with the combo of mods you have on the car. Increasing horsepower a little will not have much affect on the stall but if you slap a supercharger on there it will change the stall. It's good like you said to do some research on it because it's something that you want to get right the first time and not have to take it out of your car to get it restalled or whatever the case may be.

A converter will not add any power but you do get the advantage of torque multiplication that manuals can't give you. Fluid spins inside the converter giving it a slingshot effect creating more output torque than what net torque was applied. It is like slinging a rock in a rope...the faster you sling it the more speed it wants to pick up as the result of the swinging it...if you can imagine it in that way? Autos do soak up some net horsepower though and the offset of the torque multiplication that converters create to the output from the transmission will disappear and result in lower net rwhp numbers than manuals but at any rate getting a stall that peaks just under your peak torque output will make your car perform much better off the line.