4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please explain Flowmaster "drone"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have UPRs catted X-pipe, and my catback was actually made up for me by a local custom exhaust shop using Magnaflow mufflers and tail pipes purchased separately, and custom formed tubes between the X-pipe and the mufflers. I wanted it all tucked up in there as far as possible without causing problems.

The best description I ever saw of H-pipe vs. X-pipe was that "H-pipe = Musclecar; X-pipe = NASCAR". My old office was less than 3/4 mile from the raceway in Daytona, and that pretty much sums up the way my exhaust sounds.

There is no "ricer-fart" effect at all (I also would not tolerate that in any way), but it does have an attention getting purr/growl when you get on it--I like it!

SoundForge looks like a nice application, I use Sound Technology's Spectra Real Time Analyzer on the PC, and a Lecroy Wavejet 354 on the bench. The Wavejet's FFT capabilities are very nice.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I have UPRs catted X-pipe, and my catback was actually made up for me by a local custom exhaust shop using Magnaflow mufflers and tail pipes purchased separately, and custom formed tubes between the X-pipe and the mufflers. I wanted it all tucked up in there as far as possible without causing problems.

The best description I ever saw of H-pipe vs. X-pipe was that "H-pipe = Musclecar; X-pipe = NASCAR". My old office was less than 3/4 mile from the raceway in Daytona, and that pretty much sums up the way my exhaust sounds.

There is no "ricer-fart" effect at all (I also would not tolerate that in any way), but it does have an attention getting purr/growl when you get on it--I like it!

SoundForge looks like a nice application, I use Sound Technology's Spectra Real Time Analyzer on the PC, and a Lecroy Wavejet 354 on the bench. The Wavejet's FFT capabilities are very nice.
Spectra and Lecroy are great tools!!

I'm an EE by training (NY Polytechnic) but I work as a network engineer in real life.
I run a small project studio where I record bands, myself etc and also do freelance work on the side so I am familiar with recording technology.

It's a GREAT place to listen to exhaust clips

SoundForge is the standard.

I bought in way back around version 4.5 so upgrades have been inexpensive plus it's a write off anyway.
It's on the torrents all the time though

My exhaust is probably +1 over stock with say Stingers being +9 and open pipe being +10.
When I get on it though, people look, which is what I like....

My only complaint is that it sounds "pillowy"...I know, an engineer using a term like that but I can't think of any other way to describe it.
It sounds muffled like someone is holding a pillow over the pipes.
IOW it has no edge to it.

I'm wondering if something like a Bassani or Magnaflow X-pipe (catted) will solve this problem?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

An catted X-pipe will give you that hint of bark you are seeking. I suspect your tastes in overal level are similar to mine, I don't want to be advertising something I cannot deliver.

I have a small 8W pirate FM station I fire up upon occasion, a Sony 300-disc carousel feeding a small Behringer UB802 mixer and MDX1400 compressor/limiter. I use a PCS-SE3 stereo encoder and the PCS-MaxPro1 exciter. I have a 30WE linear amp that I use once in a while, however I try to avoid any sort of "in your face" contact with the commercial stations and the Feds.

There's a nice 800 kHz "hole" in the FM spectrum centered on 101.1 mHz so that's where I'll be when it's up...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

So what can I do with 1.21 GIGAWATTS? Around 88 MPH
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

i have mac lts with the catted h and flowmasters in the rear. It sounds nice when you get on it but when your cruising its more of just like a constant drone. It starts making it at like 2000rpms. Im going with an o/r pipe and just keeping the flowmasters ill tell you how that goes. Im sure its gonna be loud as hell cause its lt's with just pipes all the way to the mufflers its gonna be sweet haha
Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

People love the sound of my car on the outside. I like it when accelerating, or decelerating. I hate crusing at 2000 rpms. Short trips aren't bad, but long ones are nearly unbearable. The drone tapers off at 2200 or 80 mph. I have actually thought about getting gears for the sole purpose of running higher rpms.

Don't other cat-backs have a spot where they drone?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Almost all catbacks drone. But the better ones drone less. Thats one of the reasons a Borla cost more.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve0914
i agree with you oneqwk, it is quiet when you are not on it and sounds good when you are, but outside the car... i may be eating my words after i get pypes violators, but i went on an 8 hour trip and had a headache the whole time...
Steve just to let you know the pypes violators do drone a little bit. Not even close to as bad as the flowmasters. I just went to maine from mass and back this past weekend and it wasnt to bad. I also have a catted x pipe though. Pretty soon thats gonna go to when i get an off-road x pipe.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I don't know about the other flowmasters but I had super 40's welded in and I can quite honestly say there is like almost no drone at all at the 1500-2000rpm "drone zone". Once you go alittle over 2000rpm's you can start to hear it.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default My opinion (Love my Flows)

My opinion. I love the drone. Before I bought my exhuast I did a lot research. Every article that I read, every internet posting all agreed upon one thing; Flows do not sound good with X-pipes! I'm from the old school and wanted the old Fox body sound, deep rumble, muscular. So I decided to buy the flows and I also bought the o/r h-pipe. I love the way my car sounds especially with the o/r h-pipe and BBK shorty headers. Of course my wife hates it. It's all in a persons choice I guess. I just bought a truck (F-150 FX-4) so my mustang has become a once in a while driver. When I do drive it, I love it. Everyone compliments me on the way that it sounds. Personally when I think of Mustang I think of Flows. Once again guys my opinion.