4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What RPM to shift at when racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by firehorse02
+1
When I did the research on it I discovered that our cars do not make any more horsepower after 5200RPM's. Sorry I can't give you a link to the site that I found that information but I researched it a while ago and can't remember. But bo is right, shift at around 53 or 5400 so you don't lose to much rpms. Or you can power shift....but I wouldn't recomend that unless you have another daily driver to use incase yours breaks. Power shifting is keeping the gas pedal down while you do your shift. It will jump your rpms up a **** load once you put that clutch in but you won't lose a lot of rpms once you let it out. However it's hard on your daily driver since you are letting out your clutch with your rpms so high.
if you can do it well, it actually saves ur syncros because they don't have such a drop in the RMP to adjust to, as long as ur not revving it super high, it won't hurt your car too much, besides 4.6s are tanks..
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Do you guys think the fact that I couldn't get into 3rd (I tried to put it in somewhat rough many times but I guess I didn't do it really hard) maybe because I shifted at like 6000rpm?

I'm still trying to pinpoint what my problem was
like defcon said, and i said the syncro has a hard time adjusting to the sudden drop in RPMS from such a high RPM(6k) but you should be shifting at like 55-5700 like they said and powershifting also helps like that 1 guy said, but when i do it i only rev it about 5-700rpms nothing drastic, this might also solve your problem but i think you will be fine shifting lower without powershifting..