4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine braking at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm not just being a bitter person. It is possibly that I know personally someone who has been injured from **** heads like you that thing street racing is ok. It isn't. Period. I can't believe how many Mustang owners on this site think it is ok. It really does make me embarrased and hope that people don't see your comments and group every stang owner together based on it. Seriously, I may seem bitter, but on this subject I don't give a ****. Grow up, step away from the car if you can't handle driving it like a responsible adult. I DON'T **** around like that on the street, and I DO know how to get to my local track. Not having a track close by is not an excuse to be irresponsible. It just means you have to drive further or find a different way to have fun.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Injected97GT
I'm not just being a bitter person. It is possibly that I know personally someone who has been injured from **** heads like you that thing street racing is ok. It isn't. Period. I can't believe how many Mustang owners on this site think it is ok. It really does make me embarrased and hope that people don't see your comments and group every stang owner together based on it. Seriously, I may seem bitter, but on this subject I don't give a ****. Grow up, step away from the car if you can't handle driving it like a responsible adult. I DON'T **** around like that on the street, and I DO know how to get to my local track. Not having a track close by is not an excuse to be irresponsible. It just means you have to drive further or find a different way to have fun.
when the **** did i say i was street racing? I WASNT and never have...

i asked about slowing down from highspeeds and you start accusing me of bull**** and making **** up

go complain about street racing in the "street/strip" section of the forum. a compete section for telling your racing stories

Last edited by Andy13186; 10-22-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

How is going 130 on a public road "to see what it can do in 4th gear" any better than going 130 on a public road beside another car doing the same? Just one less douche bag engangering lives. God, after reading all this BS, I can appreciate people who chose to break the law, but do it in industrial parks and organize it so there are NO innocent bystandards. Or like the local group of street racers (we have an 8th mile within 20 minutes and a 4th mile within 3 hours, so i dont see why they bother) who go to an abandoned air strip behind a blueberry field in east bum ****. You on the other hand, **** it, might as well romp on her on the street any time of day, whever you are, just to see what it can do. I don't mean street racing specifically, but any moron who doesn't know how to conduct himself on a public road behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Injected97GT
How is going 130 on a public road "to see what it can do in 4th gear" any better than going 130 on a public road beside another car doing the same? Just one less douche bag engangering lives. God, after reading all this BS, I can appreciate people who chose to break the law, but do it in industrial parks and organize it so there are NO innocent bystandards. Or like the local group of street racers (we have an 8th mile within 20 minutes and a 4th mile within 3 hours, so i dont see why they bother) who go to an abandoned air strip behind a blueberry field in east bum ****. You on the other hand, **** it, might as well romp on her on the street any time of day, whever you are, just to see what it can do. I don't mean street racing specifically, but any moron who doesn't know how to conduct himself on a public road behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
I specifically said i did it 1 time, and i did it on a empty bridge at night aka- no bystanders , no chance of deer running out etc, its the safest place you can go 100+. you are still making assumtions and making stuff up

You have contributed NOTHING to this thread and haven't given any advice about the topic at all, you are a waste of a poster on this forum, leave my thread please.

Last edited by Andy13186; 10-23-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ha... hows this for help:
1. Don't go that fast on the road(or bridge)
2. If you give yourself enough room to get up to that speed, make sure you have at least twice that distance to gradually slow down with your brakes only.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
how did you break them? i wanna know what not to do.

I think the easiest way to break a motor is redlinineg while the engine is still cold, ive never done this but it just seems like alot of people could have ****ed their motors this way
I suppose you could sum it up and attribute it to being young and dumb.

The first motor I blew up was a 426 in a 1966 Dodge. I was 19. A head gasket was leaking anti-freeze in the oil. I didn't have the money to fix it so I drove it anyway. The anti-freeze eroded the bearings. I limped the car home with a rod knocking and replaced the motor with a 440.

The second was a 350 in a 1969 Camaro. I was 23. I was playing around on some curves and went into a S curve really hot. I down shifted to third and floored it to get around the first curve and went hard on the brakes but there wasn't enough time so I shifted to second and floored it to get around the second curve. I made it around the curve. It was a thrilling experience until I heard that old familiar knock coming from the motor. I limped the car home and parked it at a friend's garage.

At a local garage we built up a 327 to drop in the Camaro. We finally got it started and the jerk that was helping me reached under the hood and ran the motor to 5,000 rpm. The motor didn't last 200 miles. I finally put in a 305. I don't count that one as my fault.

The third had alcohol involved. I was 28. I was driving a 1972 Pinto and had an old street racing friend in the car. We were talking about the old days and I decided to power shift the Pinto. Bad idea. I missed second and not only blew up the motor but also tore up the transmission. That was Friday. I went to a salvage yard on Saturday and we put in the new motor and transmission on Sunday. That was the last time I ever power shifted a car.

This was a long time ago, I'm a little easier on cars now. I have to smile a little about the street racing comments. We painted quarter mile lines across a highway and raced nearly every weekend during the summer and not on a track.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

If you are driving say 60mph in 4th gear, you can shift into 3rd to engine brake. As you shift from 4th to 3rd, while your pressing the clutch pedal, hit the gas to bring up the rpms and the shift should be relatively smooth when you let the clutch out in 3rd gear. This is super smooth on all of the drivetrain components as well as the clutch. Just remember, you'll burn gas faster and shorten the life of your engine if you are being extreme with this situation. The average decel engine braking is perfectly fine. I think it's fun to do that, but going 90 in 3rd gear is relatively uncommon for the common shift from 3rd to 4th unless you think your a Nascar driver wherever you go...lol Only when you get on it hard should you be ringing out that high, actually I think I remember hitting 110 before shifting into 4th with 3:73's and my redline is at 6800. That was one occasion that I can remember. I just did it to see what speeds were at max rev. I certainly would not try to engine brake by revving my car up towards redline,. that's just stupid. If you are doing that then yes you are stupid. It shows inexperience and your looking for either an accident or to blow up your motor. Engine braking should be done no more than 75% redline, so 6k redline should be 4k max for engine braking. That's my rule of thumb that makes me comfortable. The average engine can sustain 1/2 redline all day long so this would mean your engine can sustain being at 3krpms comfortably. Anything more your seriously diminishing your engines lifespan, but hey, do what you wish.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I specifically said i did it 1 time, and i did it on a empty bridge at night aka- no bystanders , no chance of deer running out etc, its the safest place you can go 100+. you are still making assumtions and making stuff up

You have contributed NOTHING to this thread and haven't given any advice about the topic at all, you are a waste of a poster on this forum, leave my thread please.

Just wanted to touch upon this. Driving fast on a bridge is not the smartest thing to do. This is bad for two reason: If you have an accident, you will most likely die from going over the bridge, and most bridges that I have ever been on have a pronounced wind draft that blows through them. Going that fast with direct encounters with the wind blowing under your car is never a good thing. Just some things to think about. I speak for many others when I say we have all learned from previous experiences whether it be news or personal. Think smart or go home has been my motto for a few years. I'm a speed freak, but it just isn't worth it anymore. Trust me when I say that! Hopefully you don't learn the hardway. Kill someone or be killed or get lucky and get arrested and have your car impounded, lose your liscense for a few years and pay upwards of $10k between tickets and lawyers fees. Yes, a cop that gets you for doing 130mph can and most likely will arrest you. Then it's on your record of convictions because it's not just a misdemeanor anymore, it's a felony.
Just stick to the occasional short burts of 90mph on the highway when traffic is slow to get jollies off and then play it safe around town.