4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are they just dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Default Are they just dumb?

So i had transmision built for me (4r70w) and it was supposed to be in the car on tuesday. However, my mechinic pulls it and realizes that shifter linkage is different. Not that big of a deal, he just swap it out with my old trans shifter. He then goes to put it in the car and realizes that the torque converter doesn't match up with the flywheel. The transmission company says there was no way of know either. I now have to hope that the right torque convert comes in tomorrow and my mechinic can get it done so i can leave school for winter break. Are they just dumb or is ford really that inconsistant in production.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
So i had transmision built for me (4r70w) and it was supposed to be in the car on tuesday. However, my mechinic pulls it and realizes that shifter linkage is different. Not that big of a deal, he just swap it out with my old trans shifter. He then goes to put it in the car and realizes that the torque converter doesn't match up with the flywheel. The transmission company says there was no way of know either. I now have to hope that the right torque convert comes in tomorrow and my mechinic can get it done so i can leave school for winter break. Are they just dumb or is ford really that inconsistant in production.
Well sorry to hear about your luck. Ford is just inconsistant with their prouct. I couldnt find certain things in my haynes manual. Latemodel Cars=PITA. I snapped a 1/2 drive breaker bar breaking my last bellhousing bolt loose. Good luck with the auto.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Bullitt2theHead
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt say ford is inconsistant, its usually the partsman who is inconsistant. Ford 95% of the time sends the part that is ordered. So beside that five percent(which is usually window regulators...) its the guy at the counter ordering the wrong thing.

I wouldnt say late models are hard, id say oldies are easy!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Well i mean the transmission guy said that there was no way to tell what flywheel i had on the car. Something like that seems like it should be the same on all 96 gt cars. My vote is they transmission guys are idiots or to lazy to research and get it right. I just hope they knew what the were doing with the trans. I do agree working on late model can be tricky, I broke 5 tools doing the PI swap this summer, STUBERN bolts!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
Well i mean the transmission guy said that there was no way to tell what flywheel i had on the car. <snip>
That's a crock of "stuff", the VIN (and resources that a good shop should have) would tell them exactly what parts were needed.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

What i have seen with trans shops is scary. For me it has always been hit or miss. Trans can be so radically different between cars across the board with the continuos drives and clutchless manuals. Trans shops have to really stay up on their research to be good.

Yours should not have been that difficult for them, i would have tried to find a mustang performance shop if could next time.
They sound like retards