4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

break fluid leaking EVERYWHERE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 AM
bhhacker
1st Gear Member

Default break fluid leaking EVERYWHERE!

So after successfully driving my mustang from Michigan to Texas and babying it the whole way, my friend and I decided to take it out late last night to see what she had. We had a BLAST! Unfortunately the brakes got all mushy and started acting funny. I figured that my friend might have heated up my brakes quite a bit. When dropping him off at his house i get the red brake light coming on. I find that strange as i topped off every fluid before the trip. I put more in and drive home. I park the car and as i get out of it i notice a trail of fluid behind my car. I look under it and the entire rear is soaked as well.

I also noticed a hose or a valve thats connected to the left(or the drivers side) head thats come undone. Its next to the oil dipstick and where you put the oil in.

Am I correct in the assumption that the master slave cylinder took a dump on me?

Do you guys know the valve/hose that im talking about? It goes from around the cold air intake side to the opposite side head and looks like it might be a blowoff for oil. I left my haynes manual in michigan (DoH) so any help/advice you guys can give is appreciated.

Last edited by bhhacker; 02-05-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Nrre
1st Gear Member

i THINK i know what hose your talking about. it went bad on my mustang to...we had the Ford Tech tape it up and been fine ever since...that was probably a year ago. It only had a 'small crack' in it though. We didn't have oil everywhere.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
bhhacker
1st Gear Member

ive got a question. I know my front brakes were getting low, would the light come on if the pads were too low? then i dropped more brake fluid in when i didnt need to and it was purging from below? Or is that wishful thinking and its the master brake cylinder?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

When your brake pads get used up your fluid level that is in the Master Cylinder Res. will go down only because the piston is sliding further because of the missing brake material. Your best bet to find the leak is to put the car on jack stands start by looking for the wettest area in the brake system. (brake lines, Brake Calipers). Have a friend push on the brakes and look for where the fluid is escaping and repair