4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Forged internals benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

no I don't think you can get to a 302 with just cylinder bore alone. With a stroker kit and a different crankshaft you can alone or along with boring out the cylinders.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:03 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
So I'd go from a 4.6 to something like a 5.0?
No. 4.6 is a 281 Cu in. and a 5.0 is a 302. You can choose to go bigger, smaller, or stay the same.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

^ he was talking about bore, when you bore .020 it becomes 283.5 ci.

he assumed since the cubes increased the liter would also. I think thats correct but it wouldn't be noticable with a bore that small, maybe a 4.7 or a 4.65 lol.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

exactly you'll gain a little displacement from boring but you need a stroker kit to really increase displacement.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Their are only two reasons to rebuild a motor: 1. its bad, broke and in need of repair. 2. You want more out of it than the stock design will give. There are lots of engine rebuilds that do not use forged internals. The only reason to put forged internals into your motor is that they are much stronger and they will allow you to exceed the limits of stock internals. During the rebuild you can also decide on the stroke, bore and compression that is right for your application.

Whether you need forged internals depends upon your goals for the motor. Do you want a supercharger? If your motor has been well maintained, then an introductory supercharger that doesn't exceed 370-380 rwhp should be fine. This is 60-65% above the motors stock rating but with a proper tune a well maintained motor should handle it. The more you go above that, the greater the risk. The greater the risk, the greater the need for forged internals that are specifically designed to handle the power.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
no I don't think you can get to a 302 with just cylinder bore alone. With a stroker kit and a different crankshaft you can alone or along with boring out the cylinders.
Not, on a stock block unless they use sleeves. You need to get a stroker or the new Boss block. Ford now produces a 3.7" bore modular Boss 302 block that can get you to 5.0 with the standard stroke.

Last edited by Eagle2000GT; 02-16-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
Their are only two reasons to rebuild a motor: 1. its bad, broke and in need of repair. 2. You want more out of it than the stock design will give. There are lots of engine rebuilds that do not use forged internals. The only reason to put forged internals into your motor is that they are much stronger and they will allow you to exceed the limits of stock internals. During the rebuild you can also decide on the stroke, bore and compression that is right for your application.

Whether you need forged internals depends upon your goals for the motor. Do you want a supercharger? If your motor has been well maintained, then an introductory supercharger that doesn't exceed 370-380 rwhp should be fine. This is 60-65% above the motors stock rating but with a proper tune a well maintained motor should handle it. The more you go above that, the greater the risk. The greater the risk, the greater the need for forged internals that are specifically designed to handle the power.
Thanks again Eagle. So informative. I plan on putting a procharger P-1SC kit on my 03 GT. It's got roughly 35,000 miles on it. Once I get it what would you suggest I do after wards? I was planning on getting a dyno tune and calling it a day. I have currently for mods long tube headers, High flow X-pipe, and a Borla exhaust. With a dyno tune am I good to go or is there something else I should consider?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

For a daily driver that sounds like a good plan. A P-1SC with the standard pully on a stock motor should yeild 350 rwhp. Maybe more because of the long-tube header. You definitely to crawl immediately to a dyno (d/n exceed 2500 rpm) after installing the supercharger if for nothing else than to check the canned tune. The dyno can identify if you have peaked the MAF. If you have you can either get a new MAF or a Diablosport MAFia which adapts the signal of the stock MAF for higher air flow.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
For a daily driver that sounds like a good plan. A P-1SC with the standard pully on a stock motor should yeild 350 rwhp. Maybe more because of the long-tube header. You definitely to crawl immediately to a dyno (d/n exceed 2500 rpm) after installing the supercharger if for nothing else than to check the canned tune. The dyno can identify if you have peaked the MAF. If you have you can either get a new MAF or a Diablosport MAFia which adapts the signal of the stock MAF for higher air flow.
So I may need a new MAF? Doesn't that come with the supercharger? It's like a super intake pretty much I so I figure it would but I could be wrong.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

No. The MAF (mass airflow meter) and spark plugs are extra. I can't remember is the fan belt came with the kit or not.

The MAF is a separate component that is located along the cold air piping. ProCharger's piping moves the MAF into the fender well. According to ProCharger, the stock MAF is OK with the standard 8 lb pulley. If you order the 10 lb pulley they recommend the Ford Lightining MAF. This is on completely stock engine though. Other mods, such as TB/Plenum and Long-tube headers, may also make the airflow greater than the stock MAF can measure or signal to the computer so it basically pegs out. It has reached its maximum voltage and can go no higher. When that happens the engine is getting more air, but the computer isn't injecting more gas which results in a lean air/fuel mixture. Lean could lead to detonation. Detonation could lead to a blown up motor.

The Lightning MAF is able to measure more airflow than the stock MAF. You can also get a Diablosport MAFia (This is what I have.) which changes the voltage signal from the stock MAF to the computer. It has various settings which make the stock MAF capable of measuring huge amounts of airflow.