4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Turning off airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
I believe by looking at alldata a dealer can do it. I don't know if they will though. They have a special fuse: RCM fuse F2.36 that I guess acts like a Mil Elim that you plug into the airbag harness. You do need the Ford Scanner though, that is why it is kinda dealer only, here is the procedure none the less.

Warning: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.
1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F2.36 (15A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
5. Turn the ignition OFF.
6. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.
7. Remove the two steering wheel back cover plugs.
8. Remove the two driver air bag module retaining bolts (one shown).
9. Remove the driver air bag module.
o Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.
o Remove the driver air bag module.
10. Attach the restraint system diagnostic tool to the clockspring electrical connector at the top of the steering column.
11. Open the glove compartment, push in on the two tabs and open the glove compartment door to its fullest downward position.
12. Remove the right hand A/C register duct.
o Remove the two screws retaining the duct to the A/C register.
o Separate the A/C duct at the air plenum and remove the duct.
13. Disconnect the passenger air bag module electrical connector.
14. Attach the restraint system diagnostic tool to the vehicle harness side of the passenger air bag module electrical connector.
15. Install the RCM fuse F2.36 (15A) to the CJB.
16. Connect the battery ground cable.

Ok, what you basically told this guy to do was just remove his airbags and install the airbag simulators in their place. Yes, this will disable the system, but it also just leaves the interior a wreck. If you want the kid to ride up front then just pull the RCM fuse and disable the airbags all together. I dont suggest running into anything at a high rate of speed after doing this obviously And wiring ANYTHING into the circuit of the airbag system can either disable the system or cause pre-mature detonation. The system runs on specific ohm readings. Adding or removing wire or wiring in a switch can alter those readings and set airbag lights or just damage the system altogether.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
gec
2nd Gear Member

eehhh...just unscrew the 2 bolts holding the glove compartment door and remove it. Unscrew the bolts holding it in place. pull it out and unplug it..you will here a beep for 30 sec's everytime you start the car and then it will shut off...eehhh
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Ok, what you basically told this guy to do was just remove his airbags and install the airbag simulators in their place. Yes, this will disable the system, but it also just leaves the interior a wreck. If you want the kid to ride up front then just pull the RCM fuse and disable the airbags all together. I dont suggest running into anything at a high rate of speed after doing this obviously And wiring ANYTHING into the circuit of the airbag system can either disable the system or cause pre-mature detonation. The system runs on specific ohm readings. Adding or removing wire or wiring in a switch can alter those readings and set airbag lights or just damage the system altogether.
Yeah, cuz I'm lazy and didn't feel like c&p'in all the other info into the post. And yes, that is nice to hear from a ford tech.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Ahhhh don't disable the airbags... one of those saved my life recently (previous car).

On another note, I remember riding up front when I was like 6... were my parents f'ed up? Haha