4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

License plate lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default License plate lights

Do any of you know what I am referring to here? The bulb that illuminates the license plate on my car, it's outer casing or cover. It is slightly fogged, and not allowing the bulb to shine through as well as the other one.

I have these HID white clear bulbs that replace the dingy yellowish colored ones, and it looks great. It's not ricer-ish in any way because it illuminates the licence plate like some of the newer infinitis and dodge challengers.

So what I am getting at, is I need to unscrew the two crappy black plastic screws that fasten these little covers in place, but the dang screw just keeps turning, no matter how hard I press. Why does Ford have to make such things so annoying? Where can I get replacement covers for my bulbs? Has anyone ever gotten them off? Thanks guys!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Do any of you know what I am referring to here? The bulb that illuminates the license plate on my car, it's outer casing or cover. It is slightly fogged, and not allowing the bulb to shine through as well as the other one.

I have these HID white clear bulbs that replace the dingy yellowish colored ones, and it looks great. It's not ricer-ish in any way because it illuminates the licence plate like some of the newer infinitis and dodge challengers.

So what I am getting at, is I need to unscrew the two crappy black plastic screws that fasten these little covers in place, but the dang screw just keeps turning, no matter how hard I press. Why does Ford have to make such things so annoying? Where can I get replacement covers for my bulbs? Has anyone ever gotten them off? Thanks guys!
If its like my car, they are not real screws. They are plastic pop ins made to look like screws. Try prying them out lightly with a small flat bladed screw driver. Once you change the bulbs, you just push the "screws" back in with your finger, or you can just turn them in with a screwdriver. At least that is how it worked on my car.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I think your best bet is from a junkyard since all new edge ones are the same so i'm sure you can find a trashed up V6 with that part still being good
Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM
SKAR

they should be 2 pieces if they are what im thinking of, with something thin pull out the center and take the whole plastic plug type deal out.....
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

here are new ones
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-13550K
Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

Don't bother ruining them.

Get a pair of pliars and put opposing pressure on the back of the fastener.
The way it works is the 'screw' (AKA Plastic piece of **** fastener) goes in the center of the plastic housing and forces the two 'feet' of the faster apart, holding it to the trunk.

If you can squeeze back these two feet, you can pull it clean out.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
96SN95

Go to latemodelresto.com and just buy them, only 24.00 for 2 new lenses with gaskets and the plastic fasteners. I guarantee your gaskets are rotted away.

I just replaced mine and used LED bulbs to reduce the heat build-up inside the lense, they also look more modern as mentioned above.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM
DAVID98GT

If you dont mind me asking, where did you buy the hid/bright bulbs and how much do they run? I saw some the other day in a new lexas and really liked them.

Thanks
David
Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
thirstypirate

I recently changed the bulbs for my license plate light and broke off both the fake screws in the process. It was around $2.00 at Advanced Auto to get new ones.