4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about mustang handling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about mustang handling.

Without starting a forest fire with this one:

It really comes down to the driver in most road racing...

Building a bad *** suspension is only a small (but expensive) part of the whole equation.. Knowing how to 2-foot brake and control your weight distribution is the key... Without that, it'd take you thousands of dollars, trying to make a suspension responsive, yet liquid enough to suit any driver..

Mustang are inherently known for their lack of rear weight, and flimsy sub structure.. Subframes, strut tower ties, and a firm balance from front to rear are essential. Try to put a little more bias towards the rear (as opposed to FWD), to help with the over steer issue..

Oh yeah, Independent Rear Suspension.. Bad for Drag racing, good for Road course..

Other than that.. Good tires are a plus...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

Building a bad *** suspension is only a small (but expensive) part of the whole equation.. Knowing how to 2-foot brake and control your weight distribution is the key... Without that, it'd take you thousands of dollars, trying to make a suspension responsive, yet liquid enough to suit any driver..

Mustang are inherently known for their lack of rear weight, and flimsy sub structure.. Subframes, strut tower ties, and a firm balance from front to rear are essential. Try to put a little more bias towards the rear (as opposed to FWD), to help with the over steer issue..

Oh yeah, Independent Rear Suspension.. Bad for Drag racing, good for Road course..

JT
Yeah I know the driver has alot to do with it especially for road racing. I checked out steeda and they have a nice suspension package. After the lowering I think the steeda set-up will be my next step. As for the tires, I have a new set of Fuzion ZR-1'a that were put on the car when I bought it. They might not be as good as the Nitto's or BF's but they are a pretty good tire.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:38 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuslee842

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

JT
Yeah I know the driver has alot to do with it especially for road racing. I checked out steeda and they have a nice suspension package. After the lowering I think the steeda set-up will be my next step. As for the tires, I have a new set of Fuzion ZR-1'a that were put on the car when I bought it. They might not be as good as the Nitto's or BF's but they are a pretty good tire.
Steeda does have that nice new Multi-link set up, I think it includes Coil-overs, shocks, panhard bar, and sway bar, along with poly bushings all the way around.. Oh yeah, sub frames I think are also included..

How are those tires?? What kind of traction do you get?? Are they predictable??

JT
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 PM
BlueBullitt

I've looked into the whole suspension deal, steeda does probably have one of the best set ups out there, for th money anyway. As tires one of the best tires I've seen are the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. A little price but they stick and handle very well.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I was more so wondering how those Fuzion's work for you?? I've seen them on a lot of cars around here...

JT