4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

'02 GT Wheel Clicking Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
InsidiousGT

Default '02 GT Wheel Clicking Help

I have an '02 GT with 32k on it. Not many miles, but some of that is track time.

Anyway, recently I started hearing a ticking coming from the front left wheel well. Some info...

- it only ticks once its up to temp (after driving for a while)
- I tried rotating the tires (left rear up to left front and vice versa) and the front left still ticks, so its probably not the tire or wheel weight.
- one day when it started clicking I jacked it up and spun the tire manually.... and no click. so it only clicks with weight on it.
- when I jacked it up I felt for wiggle in the bearing and it felt pretty solid.
- once it starts clicking, it just keeps clicking no matter the conditions (smooth pavement or rough pavement, turning or going straight, slow or fast)

Anyone have any ideas what that might be?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by InsidiousGT
I have an '02 GT with 32k on it. Not many miles, but some of that is track time.

Anyway, recently I started hearing a ticking coming from the front left wheel well. Some info...

- it only ticks once its up to temp (after driving for a while)
- I tried rotating the tires (left rear up to left front and vice versa) and the front left still ticks, so its probably not the tire or wheel weight.
- one day when it started clicking I jacked it up and spun the tire manually.... and no click. so it only clicks with weight on it.
- when I jacked it up I felt for wiggle in the bearing and it felt pretty solid.
- once it starts clicking, it just keeps clicking no matter the conditions (smooth pavement or rough pavement, turning or going straight, slow or fast)

Anyone have any ideas what that might be?

First check your lugnuts, they could be working loose, but, you should have noticed that when you rotated the wheels.

When you felt for wiggle in the bearing did you have one hand on the top of the wheel and one on the bottom,, if you did then it may be ok, if not then do it, any measureable (1/8 to 1/4" or more) movement replace the hub assembly. If not the problem, then check the brake caliper, backing plate which i believe is plastic, an the antilock sensor. Something has got to be touching the rotor it sounds like. On other cars i have seen the backing plate melt when really hot an touch the rotor creating a sound which is hard to find, but not a click.!

Good luck in finding it, and, update when you do!