4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help with lowering install

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM
mustang13gt
1st Gear Member

Default help with lowering install

i am in the process of lowering the car and i have completed the lowering in the rear but i am now at the front and i can not get the tie rod end to seperate from the lower control arm. does anyone have any tips or tricks?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
82gtTtop

Get a hammer and hit around where the bolt on the tie rod end is going through the control arm or go rent the tool from the parts store. Youtube might have some videos. Just dont try to hit the bolt directly to knock it through.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Everytime i've done it, we never un-did the tie rods...

-Jack the car up, put on jack stands
-Take the jack and put it under the lower control arm. Slightly raise the control arm up and loosen the nut on the top of the strut.
-Unbolt your calipers and ziptie them to the fenderwell or put them on a box so that the lines don't snap
- Unbolt the swaybar end on the side you are working on and lower the jack. (keep an eye on the brake lines to make sure they are not stressed)
- With some muscle, the springs should come right out (of course mine came out easier since i already had aftermarket springs in there)

And if you pursue going your route, i'm pretty sure you need a "tie-rod puller" or w/e its called...

Goodluck. I would try my route first.. it will take you 15 min
Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

+1 hpwrestler also I unbolted the top sway bar bolt then with the jack under the control arm and with the car supported by jackstands lower the control arm and then press down on the control arm and use a prybar on the lower end of the spring to pop it out (there should be very little compressed energy in it).
Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I did mine the same way HP did, but since I was replacing the struts I unbolted the strut from the knuckle. Mine where stock springs so I needed a spring compressor to pull them. Just use one compressor, tighten it down and pull the spring, then carefully release the tension. The lowering springs will slide in with no issues.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

This reminds me of how I occasionally see spring install how-to's with people unbolting the tie rods and loosing the A arm bolts and all this unnecessary bull**** lol

Pulling the stock springs isn't hard, just use a prybar like fidel said

I removed my stock springs by placing a prybar under the 2nd last coil of the spring or so and use your A-arm perch as pivot to pop the spring out of the perch. I used my knee to keep the A arm down as low as I could and used my other hand to hold onto the spring so there was no chance of it poping put and hitting me.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you insist on taking off the tie rod end remove the nut, turn it upside down and thread it back on so that the stud is flush with the nut and smash it hard with a hammer, as long as u have the crown nut on upside down and flush you won't damage the threads but hitting it directly.