4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my exploding intake (weeeeeee!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
lespaul1283

Default my exploding intake (weeeeeee!!)

ok, i have a 98 gt with stock block, heads, pi intake. a professional product throttle body, cold air intake, 90 wet shot of juice.

all this was done to the car when i bought it a year ago, it has had no problems and has ran great the whole time i have had it. i have used 4 bottles of juice since ive had had it. again no issue, it worked great.

a couple months ago the intake started to leak ( because pi intake to non pi heads) so tried 3 times to reseal it with no success. i ended up putting the stock back on. it ran like a champ.
3 days ago i filled my bottle and ran it down the street a few times. i could feel a power loss when spaying from the stock intake ( you see where this is going)
so i pilled it up to a 125 shot.
first pass; ran trough 1,2,3,4 then began to spray, it hesitated like it was flooding it with gas. so i backed of and purged it trough the motor and all sounded well. so i decided to make one more run.
again 1,2,3,4 and spray, she hit hard as hell at first then it bogged and kaaaaaaaboooooooooommmmmm! in a flaming blaze of glory and a swear i did not over rev and i also have a throttle switch for the spray.

it blew the bottom end to a 100 pieces of the intake and some of the the top.

i do understand this is what happens when it back fires and that i shouldnt have put the spay on that intake
i got all the pieces out of the intake valve holes in the heads but, one.
it was wedged between the valve and head not allowing it to close. got most of it out and a small piece fell into the block. also the rocker arm fell off that valve.

fixed all that i could see and replaced the intake with a new stock one. fired it up. made some nasty noise's from the plastic pieces in the block for a bit then stoped. now it sounds like i have stage 4 cam and idles rough as hell, pops, when i put my hands on the exhaust tips covering them it sucks my hand to it hard in a fast pulse and has a whooshing sound like a train that comes from the block. i think it might be a exhaust valve? cause its not popping like it would if was a intake valve.
would it bend a valve even though i didnt over rev?
or maybe a piece of plastic wedged the exhaust valve open?
i know simply taking the head off and just looking at it to see would be the way to go but dont have the right tools, or money and scared to take the front end off the block, looks like a lot of work and am not a big time mechanic to be taking the head off and check it. im just a man with the need for speed. and its my fist weekend hotrod.
i will be greatfull for any info. i know i messed up so be easy on me,lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You can do a compression check, or use a vacuum gauge, to confirm that a valve (or valves, and perhaps pistons) are damaged--however the head(s) will be coming off to repair the damage so you may as well get to it...
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
lespaul1283

ok, took the valve covers off and the rocker arm had fallen of the intake valve again. i put it back on, crank'd it and it ran great and sounded good for about 1 min then it fell of again and the car died.
could it be that the intake valve is bent or warped. maybe the spring?
could it be the rocker arm, it looks fine compared to the others.
damn! , it sounded so good before it fell off.