4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Deploying in 15 days, need info/help on brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Ryacques

Default Deploying in 15 days, need info/help on brakes.

Hi, First and foremost I would like to thank everyone on this site for helping new mustang owners like myself with simple and easy solutions to problems we come across and try to fix on our own. I'm not very mechanical at all, but I don't like taking my car to the shop because they could tell me something is wrong with my car and I would totally believe them.

So I took it upon my self to change all 4 brake discs?, and brake pads. And with the help of this site I got it accomplished. Now on to my question.

My front passenger brake caliper was destroyed so I had to replace it. I got a refurbished one from auto zone and the brake line threads were stripped on it. So I drained alot of brake fluid, took it back, got a new one and inspected the threads this time. Needless to say that was a good amount of time my brake line was just draining fluid. Before I put that new one on. I took my back driver side caliper off and loosened the brake nut to try and relieve some pressure from the caliper piston (not knowing I needed a tool because I am new, C-clamp wasen't working blah blah) so that one drained a little and I tightened it up. Went got the tool, and got the piston in, and assembled it pretty easily, then installed the NEW front passenger caliper and assembled it, filled up the brake resevior to the max and hopped in my car excited to test the new brakes...and viola they don't work properly.

The brake when car is off, is more difficult to press, than when the car is on. But its not very hard to press all the way down at all. When the car is on, its very light and can press down easy. I have to push them hard just to get the car to stop slowly..and emergency brake is the same.

From what I have read there is air in my lines? Because I left them open for so long? I am leaving for afghanistan in 15 days and I need to get this car up and running tommorow so I can go home on leave. Any help at all would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long post, I wanted to be detailed so I wouldn't have to forum chat for a days, seeing I don't have that time. I need a fix fast, and I don't want to take it to the shop. Thankyou
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Ryacques

Oh and its a 2002 Mustang GT 4.6 all stock.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 AM
DiteLypereire

Default Solar Panels

Learn all aboutSolar Power Panels.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

Did you bleed the brakes after you replaced the caliper??