4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First problems with the stang (transmission? could get nasty)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Das GT

Default First problems with the stang (transmission? could get nasty)

So ive been hanging and lurkign around for the past few motnhs while ive whole heartedly enjoyed my stang..... that was up until a few days ago

now, when i go to shift gears the stang jumps

- i push the clutch in (somtimes it has a really soft feel to it)
- it goes into gear just fine
- then when i let off the clutch (as well as gas it), the damn thing will start jumping.... as if its stuck between N and a gear

my main concern is.... could this be a totally dicked transmission? as in chipped sprockets and all that? or is this sort of thing sound more like a clutch kit?

lastly, where might the alve cylinder be? would there even be a point in trying to bleed it?

in order to thank yall properly for going over all this and giving me any input, heres a vid of some chicks wrestling around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_f_cJIATlU
Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

No hydraulic clutch on our cars, so there is no slave cylinder or anything to bleed. First thing to do is get the car up on jack stands and pull off the dust cover on the bell housing. Then get a light and look in at the throw out bearing. I will bet it is trashed. You have to pull the tranny to replace it so you should put a new clutch in while you are there. If thats not it then maybe you have tranny problems. TOB is a common failure on these cars.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Das GT

thanks brah... that does ease me some

for what its worth, ill add that it was making the TOB sqeaking sound for the past couple of months that i had it, but it would come and go (i read here that the "sqeak" did that) so i didnt really sweat it

come to think of it, it hasnt sqeaked once since it started this jerking business.... i hope thats all it is
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Vovovovan
3rd Gear Member

TOB won't make the car jerk like that, sounds more like worn clutch, but you should replace the TOB too once you're at it, mine was nasty before i changed it
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

My guess is worn clutch disc or pressure plate.
Or clutch can be badly glazed over.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Das GT

sorry to bump... but i do have an UPDATE

so yesterday, i got the stang out and drove it all day.... thre "bog" still seemed to be there but as long as i kept the rpm's high then the clutch didnt seem to be a problem

that was till i got home and the WHOLE car shut off on me downhill, for me it wasnt that big of a problem, this isnt the first or last time ill probably be in that situation.... so i shut the key off, then on and the mustang started up just fine and i carefully puttered home

this morning i plugged my diagnostic thing to it and got a "po316" code (ive been around forums long enough to know you cant go off the code # as it could still be anything)

then my diagnostic gave a brief discription... something about "misfire at 1000 rpm's" JACKPOT

so how do i go about weeding out this "misfire" and going from there?, im hoping i can get it done in the next few days and not have to waste $400 on this clutch
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I don't know what's wrong with your car, bro, but the two in the video are about 1 or 2 tequila shots away from a "moment"
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Start with new plugs and wires, if the problem persists swap coil packs and see if the misfire switches sides.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Das GT

SPARK PLUG #3...FIXED!!!!!

update.... the TLDR version

1. the "skip" as i call it
2. autozone says po316 (on their scanner) is the crankshaft sensor, so i get that changed (which was a bitch)
3. still skipped, i buy and try a whole other scanner to find "po303"... and we know that that means..
4. i go right for the spark plug and it was burnt BLACK
5. one new sparker later and the mustang is back in business

all in all costed me about $140 just to figure that out... but still beats a new clutch, looking back i realize how noobish i may have sounded.... but ive never had anything with these types of problems

really is amazing how much of an effect 1 bad spark plug can have

Last edited by Das GT; 06-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.