4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Built Engine with Bama Tune, cylinder missing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
cliffyk- im gonna respectfully disagree with you do need a dyno or data loggin on the road to properly tune a car!! a dyno is better because its on a fixed base where you dont have to worry bout diff issues on the road that wouldnt give you the most accurate reading of the car...an now im gonna contradict myself- it is good to data log on the road after you get the dyno tune cause it sometimes acts diff while shiffting and such like mind did...but for the base power curve a dyno is needed

like bama KB whipple vortech and whoever writes mail tunes they are jsut to get you from where you built the car to your dyno tuner...the tune they built has no way to account for issues with our fuel or your supercharger or whatever could go wrong the only way to do that is if someone personally takes the time to tune YOUR CAR..i say YOUR cause not 2 cars are ever the same ever!

so josh im glad you found the prob but you seriously need to take it to a dyno tuner and have it done he will reuse that handheld that bama gave you but dont pi$$ away your car and money with a cheap tune

who knows your car could be on the virge of blowing up right now cause its starving for fuel but you dont know cause no one has looked at it to tune it
I do not see any disagreement here. I never said you don't need to tool to gauge gains (or losses) resulting from changes to the tune--but that tool does not HAVE to be a dynamometer.

A dyno is a convenient tool for monitoring performance, and if I tuned cars for a living I would have one, however the same can be done with back-to-back runs on a back road using a accelerometer based device (I have an old G-Tech), a stop watch, or even a well-calibrated "butt-dyno".

And then, as you said, a "dyno tune" is just as starting place. If they were perfection and attained the ultimate performance you would not see pit crews tweaking tunes on race day, between runs as track and ambient conditions change, or even remotely during a race as is now possible.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Josh17

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
cliffyk- im gonna respectfully disagree with you do need a dyno or data loggin on the road to properly tune a car!! a dyno is better because its on a fixed base where you dont have to worry bout diff issues on the road that wouldnt give you the most accurate reading of the car...an now im gonna contradict myself- it is good to data log on the road after you get the dyno tune cause it sometimes acts diff while shiffting and such like mind did...but for the base power curve a dyno is needed

like bama KB whipple vortech and whoever writes mail tunes they are jsut to get you from where you built the car to your dyno tuner...the tune they built has no way to account for issues with our fuel or your supercharger or whatever could go wrong the only way to do that is if someone personally takes the time to tune YOUR CAR..i say YOUR cause not 2 cars are ever the same ever!

so josh im glad you found the prob but you seriously need to take it to a dyno tuner and have it done he will reuse that handheld that bama gave you but dont pi$$ away your car and money with a cheap tune

who knows your car could be on the virge of blowing up right now cause its starving for fuel but you dont know cause no one has looked at it to tune it
Thanks, taking it to the dyno next week. not gonna drive it till then probably. not much anyways.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ok i get you cliffyk!

and josh thats a good choice man i promise you wont be sorry youll realize how much power your car actually has and youll love it with a sence of ease that your motor is in great working condition