4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 AM
kingbh

Default Transmission Problems

I have a 2000 mustang gt with an auto tranny. I was driving my car home and my car started to jerk whenever I stayed at a certain speed for to long. The jerking felt like the transmisson was trying to change gears when it didnt need to, then the car just stop moving no matter how much gas i gave it. Turns out the overdrive went out in it. Because when i started it up with the overdrive off everyting worked fine.

How can i fix this problem. Can i get the overdrive fixed or will I have to buy a new or used transmission.

The problem didnt start until had made a mistake and put some bad gas in my car. Could that have stop the overdrive from working?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 AM
usermst9673
2nd Gear Member

It actually might not be the overdrive or anything related to the transmission. Mine has done the same thing 5 speed manual in Overdrive (5th). Changed the spark plugs and coil boots and it went away. With you saying bad gas I might assume that the fuel filter is partially plugged or spark plugs possibly fouled. Really need more info. Like how many miles on the car tuneups done etc to rule things out.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 AM
kingbh

Originally Posted by usermst9673
It actually might not be the overdrive or anything related to the transmission. Mine has done the same thing 5 speed manual in Overdrive (5th). Changed the spark plugs and coil boots and it went away. With you saying bad gas I might assume that the fuel filter is partially plugged or spark plugs possibly fouled. Really need more info. Like how many miles on the car tuneups done etc to rule things out.

The car has 94000 miles on it. I have had it for a year and the spark plugs are brand new. The car has had an oil change every 5000 miles. But the car was working fine until I put some waterdown gas in it from this particular gas station. The name of it was Kangaroo. Dont know if you heard of it. The fuel filter is brand new too.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried checking for codes? Acting like that, it sure would seem there would have been one or more.
Let's start from the top as of now:
The engine runs seemingly fine?
You can drive it with the OD turned off, but with the OD on the car doesn't go anywhere?
Is this only true when you start the car with the OD off, or can you start it with the OD on, turn the OD off, and the car will then go?
Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?

The way you describe it, I'm not thinking bad gas, unless the engine itself was surging... Why do you say you got bad gas? The Kangaroos around here have name brand gas; it is just the store that makes it a Kangaroo, along the same lines as Circle-K or 7-11.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM
kingbh

I drove it this morning after letting it rest for 24 hours and it started in OD and it let me drive while the OD was on, but it continued to jerk as if the OD was going back out. I have my mechanic coming over today to check the codes and run a diagnostic. I am also in the process of changing the transmission fluid. Any other problems that you think it could be?