4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 DIES WHEN COASTING TO A STOP AND MODERATE TO HARD ON THE BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It's not a question of "not supposed to use the set screw to increase idle" but rather that it will not change the idle speed for any but a short time. The PCM controls the idle speed to whatever is set in the tune by altering the duty cycle of the signal applied to the IAC. Adjusting the throttle stop screw only affect the idle until the PCM learns the new idle air trims--after that all adjusting it does is screw up (no pun intended) the IAC operating range. It is possible to use the stop screw to open (or close) the throttle plate to the point that that IAC can no longer control the idle at all--this or a failed IAC will cause the stalling problems you described.

The throttle stop screw needs to be adjusted as described here, otherwise the IAC will not be able to properly control the idle.

Back to your original problem it sounds as though you need a new IAC. Ford makes it clear in the shop manual that it cannot be cleaned, and those who have done so have generally found it to be temporary fix at best.
thanks Cliffy,

i already turned it back last night because at start up the car would make a temporary strange sucking sound (somewheat loud) under the hood until i blipped the throttle and then it would go away, I figured it was related to the IAC cleaning and/or dicking with the stop screw. I put the stop screw back where it was (there is a dam of blue paint on the top of if to show where it is supposed to be) should I reset the computer or will it re learn on its own?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Autohaulers INC
thanks Cliffy,

i already turned it back last night because at start up the car would make a temporary strange sucking sound (somewheat loud) under the hood until i blipped the throttle and then it would go away, I figured it was related to the IAC cleaning and/or dicking with the stop screw. I put the stop screw back where it was (there is a dam of blue paint on the top of if to show where it is supposed to be) should I reset the computer or will it re learn on its own?

It will relearn MUCH faster if you disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes to reset the KAM...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It will relearn MUCH faster if you disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes to reset the KAM...
thanks,,, I only hope the squealing sound is my band aid cleaning on the IAC, im putting a new one on tommorow...
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Are you sure you turned the set screw back to exactly where it was? Tighten all the clamps etc? How's your serpentine belt - or doesn't the squeal sound like that?

I had a similar problem to yours on my 01 GT. Mostly it was the failure to idle at start (or even failure to start without using the gas); but more than once it stalled at a light and many more times tried. Mine is an automatic, so coasting and stopping I still have the transmission engaged which makes a difference.

IAC cleaning and all was good. I didn't replace mine - just cleaned it and a quick job at that. I have since put another 20k on it and it is starting to act up again. It's at least the place to start. I wouldn't run out and put a new one on personally - try running your cleaned on for now.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GalaxiePete
Are you sure you turned the set screw back to exactly where it was? Tighten all the clamps etc? How's your serpentine belt - or doesn't the squeal sound like that?

I had a similar problem to yours on my 01 GT. Mostly it was the failure to idle at start (or even failure to start without using the gas); but more than once it stalled at a light and many more times tried. Mine is an automatic, so coasting and stopping I still have the transmission engaged which makes a difference.

IAC cleaning and all was good. I didn't replace mine - just cleaned it and a quick job at that. I have since put another 20k on it and it is starting to act up again. It's at least the place to start. I wouldn't run out and put a new one on personally - try running your cleaned on for now.
yes exactly where it was but did not reset comp which i will do today...its definietly not a belt sqeal...something vacuum sounding
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM
ginomac
1st Gear Member

When my 01 GT was doing the same thing I cleaned my MAF sensor, cleaned my throttle body and plenum, and replaced the IAC. Problem was solved.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Autohaulers INC
yes exactly where it was but did not reset comp which i will do today...its definietly not a belt sqeal...something vacuum sounding
Did you follow the process or just guesstimate the position? There is a method to the madness on setting the screw. I am thinking it could have something to do with your butterfly position.

Did you make any progress on fixing the issues? Just curious.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

One other thought - it could have something to do with debris in the IAC valve also. How good did you clean it?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GalaxiePete
Did you follow the process or just guesstimate the position? There is a method to the madness on setting the screw. I am thinking it could have something to do with your butterfly position.

Did you make any progress on fixing the issues? Just curious.
I set it back to where it was by eye and then reset the ECU by unplugging the battery. I replaced the IAC and it fixed the problem(s) - no squeal and no idle problem...hooray!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

put new IAC in last week, everything has been good unitl this a.m. - hard on the brakes and motor died, could this be battery or alternator related - put voltmeter on batt when stiing - 12.5v - does the computer still need time to learn the mapping when the car is braking hard?

Quick Reply: 2001 DIES WHEN COASTING TO A STOP AND MODERATE TO HARD ON THE BRAKES