4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 GT Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingbh
The air filter is good and when accelerating it does all three from time to time. A mechanic told me that my computer could be bad but I tried putting a new one in and that just made the problem worse so i put the old one back in.
How old is your fuel filter/fuel pump? If you've never replaced the filter, or it's been a long time since you have I'd start by replacing it, and i'd make it a point to borrow a fuel pressure gauge. If I'm correct you're looking for 35-45psi of fuel pressure.

Some other things you could do... use a timing gun, and make sure all cylinders are firing. If you're smelling gas it could be because one or more of the cylinders aren't igniting.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
kingbh

Originally Posted by MySlowGT
How old is your fuel filter/fuel pump? If you've never replaced the filter, or it's been a long time since you have I'd start by replacing it, and i'd make it a point to borrow a fuel pressure gauge. If I'm correct you're looking for 35-45psi of fuel pressure.

Some other things you could do... use a timing gun, and make sure all cylinders are firing. If you're smelling gas it could be because one or more of the cylinders aren't igniting.
I had a mechanic check the fuel pressure and he said that everything is good. All the cylinders are firing and the mechanic is stomped. Is their anything else you can think of?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

I had a mechanic check the fuel pressure and he said that everything is good. All the cylinders are firing and the mechanic is stomped. Is their anything else you can think of?

Three other things i can think of before i don't even have anymore guesses.

Cracked intake manifold/broken gasket on manifold(i would think that the symptoms would be constant though... but you never know!)

Vacuum leak

And also I've heard stories of batteries and alternators doing the same thing. So maybe make sure that your alt is charging your car properly and your battery is good.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
kingbh

Three other things i can think of before i don't even have anymore guesses.

Cracked intake manifold/broken gasket on manifold(i would think that the symptoms would be constant though... but you never know!)

Vacuum leak

And also I've heard stories of batteries and alternators doing the same thing. So maybe make sure that your alt is charging your car properly and your battery is good.
I finally had a chance to check it. I found out that it is my MAF that is causing the idle problem. But another problem came up. The car loads up when sitting at the stop sign or red light now. When i get ready to take off the car hesitates before it takes off. As if it is getting to much gas. If I let it take off on its own it will do fine. Why is it loading up. Before you ask I don't have a iron foot when I take off.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

I finally had a chance to check it. I found out that it is my MAF that is causing the idle problem. But another problem came up. The car loads up when sitting at the stop sign or red light now. When i get ready to take off the car hesitates before it takes off. As if it is getting to much gas. If I let it take off on its own it will do fine. Why is it loading up. Before you ask I don't have a iron foot when I take off.
Thought you had already replaced your MAF?

Does it stay at a high idle everywhere or just when slowing down?

Did you check your throttle position, on your plenum/throttle body? Maybe you screwed it too far in... aside from that i wouldn't really know, and would be completely guessing. Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM
kingbh

Thought you had already replaced your MAF?

Does it stay at a high idle everywhere or just when slowing down?

Did you check your throttle position, on your plenum/throttle body? Maybe you screwed it too far in... aside from that i wouldn't really know, and would be completely guessing. Best of luck!

The MAF is brand new but i found out that it was the relay the connects to it that was messing up. It goes from a normal idle to a high idle whenever I sit at a stop sign or red light in drive for two long. It seems like the engine is getting to much gas. But, it cant be the fuel pump because the the car as a whole wouldn't be acting right? I guess since i checked everything else might as well check it again. Thanks for all the help and if you could think of anything else i will try it and see if it makes a difference.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Where did you get your IAC from. I understand it can be a crap shoot if you get it from a parts store rather than from ford.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

The MAF is brand new but i found out that it was the relay the connects to it that was messing up. It goes from a normal idle to a high idle whenever I sit at a stop sign or red light in drive for two long. It seems like the engine is getting to much gas. But, it cant be the fuel pump because the the car as a whole wouldn't be acting right? I guess since i checked everything else might as well check it again. Thanks for all the help and if you could think of anything else i will try it and see if it makes a difference.
If it was your fuel pump or fuel related it would be struggling for fuel, and might surge up and down, but shouldn't stay at a consistently high idle, for really any period of time. If it was that bad it would also probably be bucking really bad while accelerating, i don't think the problem you're describing is fuel related

IDK if IAC's are hit or miss as Steve said, but i would definitely do some research on it at the very least. It would make sense if your IAC was bad.

Hope you figure it out. Troubleshooting always sucks!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Have you tried disconnecting your throttle position sensor wire connector to see if the condition changes?