4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First post. Need help with first mods.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
B2norma

+1 American muscle is great.

Gears and a tuner should be the 1st mod. You need to decide if you're going to go f/i or not before doing the gears. 4.10s for n/a and 3.73s for f/i. You can build a solid f/i setup for less than 2k. There is a sticky on it. If you want those kind of numbers to hang with cobras, this is the best option IMO.

But how are you going to hang with the Cobras through the turns?! What about brakes? Tires? Suspension? All the power in the world is great, but it means nothing if you can't control it!

Drinking Jazzers kool-aid since '08[/QUOTE]

So all I've heard so far is the gear to go with is 4.10s but you say if I go with F/I I should go with 3.73s. What is the reason behind that. Not saying your wrong by no means...I'm a noob. Just would like to know. And for suspension I thought about going with Eibach Pro-System and I just bought performance tires.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM
B2norma

Sorry about the double post guys but I messed up in the above post and I can't figure out how to edit posts. My post was the last two lines and everything above that was suppose to be a quote.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Guess I'd better get off my OWN kitty-aide

I am tired now... worked late... I will find a new excuse to rip my pepes tomorrow

Jazzer
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by B2norma
+1 American muscle is great.

Gears and a tuner should be the 1st mod. You need to decide if you're going to go f/i or not before doing the gears. 4.10s for n/a and 3.73s for f/i. You can build a solid f/i setup for less than 2k. There is a sticky on it. If you want those kind of numbers to hang with cobras, this is the best option IMO.

But how are you going to hang with the Cobras through the turns?! What about brakes? Tires? Suspension? All the power in the world is great, but it means nothing if you can't control it!

Drinking Jazzers kool-aid since '08
So all I've heard so far is the gear to go with is 4.10s but you say if I go with F/I I should go with 3.73s. What is the reason behind that. Not saying your wrong by no means...I'm a noob. Just would like to know. And for suspension I thought about going with Eibach Pro-System and I just bought performance tires.[/QUOTE]

the reason you wont want 4.10's if you go with f/i is because your first gear will be totally useless unless you have really good tires/suspension. also if you go turbo it's usually a necessity to have 3.73's or higher(numerically lower) because turbo's like load and the higher the gear the longer it stays in the rpm band.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Originally Posted by B2norma
Hello, So I finally have a mustang(2004 GT) of my own and I'm looking to mod. The only thing is I don't know where to start. I would like to start with the most beneficial mod and go from there. I already have new performance spark plugs. what next?

Here's my .02 cents...

I was in the same boat as you were a couple of months ago. After a lot of research it was really apparent that you can spend lots of $$ on bolt-ons, without much gain on or 2Vs.

So you can go with route 1 like everyone seems to be saying, you could start with gears and a tune OR save some cash and really get a bad ride.

You put your money where you'll really be able to feel it: Suspension.

Thanks to Jazzer and a bunch of other research, I've got an intial plan. My pony is going to be a street only (no track) carving machine. Another month or so saving and I'll be jumping in head first.

1. Full length Sub Frame Connectors
2. LCA (Jazzer approved of course)
3. Springs (what kind is a whole other debate, I'm going H&R Super Sports)
4. Shocks & Struts (I'd stay away from Tokico blues, go Bilstein)
5. CC Plates

After these (which are a great start) there is all sorts of other great suspension mods you can choose to go with: Panhard bars, Torque arms, tower braces, k members, k member braces, steering shaft, Coil overs (to be really freakin on it) etc...

Check out Maximum Motorsports for this stuff, for suspension they seem like the way to go.

Good Luck!