4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

COPs wanted, good COPs or bad COPs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default COPs wanted, good COPs or bad COPs...

This is not exactly a classified as I am not looking to buy or sell anything so I thought I'd put it here--mods, please feel free to move or delete as you see fit.

In the boredom of my being retired and pretty much housebound I am looking for some 2V (or 4V) COPs, good or bad, for me to test using my custom COP Tester/Destructor:

(from left to right there is the 12V 42A power supply from an IBM mainframe that powers it all, the test device, a couple of Accel COPs, and a Weapon X COP under test.)

This device uses a circuit very similar to that used by the EECV PCM to fire a coil, across an air-gap, to determine the maximum output voltage it can deliver. Additionally I capture the waveform of the spark on an oscilloscope so as to further analyze the coil's performance:

Internal shorted or open windings will make themselves known in the decay rate and "ringing" of the voltage after the spark/arc event. My goal is to devise a quick and dirty, "go/no go" high-voltage test.

My problem is that I have exhausted my own and the local supply (some 40 COPs) and need some other samples to continue, so I come here top ask your help. Having limited funds I make these offers.

If you have 4 to 8 COPs kicking around I will pay the postage for shipping them to me, and will return on my dime any units that are 100% serviceable;

For fewer than 4 units, and if it fits you budget, you can send them to me and I will test them and advise of those that passed. We will work out who pays what from there;

FWIW, of the couple dozen "bad" COPs I scrounged up locally 16 had nothing wrong with them and performed as well as new. This may be asking too much so feel free to ignore the message, or even tell me to GFYS if the mood strikes. I just thought there might be some dust-collectors lying around out there that could be put to a higher purpose...

-cliff-
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I may have a set you can have cliffy, I'll go through my part shed either when i get home tonight or sometime tomorrow
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cool...

I had sort of put the project on hold for lack of fodder...
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Normally I would move this thread, but since its from the Cliff its gonna stay. Next time I make a junkyard trip i'll see if i can score some to send out to you. You wanna test out a pair of coil packs?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Thank you!

I can test coil packs, I'll just have to pick up another air-gap tester. PM me and we'll work out the details...
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I have 2 COP's that are bad that i can send you. Or at least thats what the $10,000 snap on code reader at the shop said when my engine was misfiring... I took them out and changed them with 2 stock ones i had laying around and the car ran fine again

You can have them if it will help you in your research. Send me your address and i'll send them to you. Do you think it's cheaper to send em in a flat rate box or in my own box? I'm a broke college kid so saving even $1 or $2 helps! I just bought books for my last semester! lol