4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

idea but what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 03:51 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: idea but what do you think?

what about boiling water or luke warm water or ice cold water? what would freeze first in that situation? i feel a first for a mustang forums experiment.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 PM
jlauth
2nd Gear Member

hot water freezes first
Old 10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

true all that, i did it in chemistry a couple years back. just keep ur dang airfilter on. They were made to protect your engine. Let it do its job. If u are that worried about air, buy a supercharger. No sense in pontentially killing ur engine.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:58 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: starcam

I took my passenger fog light out and my fender mac cai tube stayed cooler inside the engine compartment.
More air doesn't really give tremendous alot of power, it does help if ur ports can handle it, compressed air from a sc is great.
Where the gain comes in with direct flow, not compressed is the maf is getting the cooler fresher air away from the hot engine.
Which the computer makes the mix richer. colder air releases more energy when it is ignited.

For instance which would freeze faster when making ice cubes? Hot or cold water?
Hot water freezes faster because it expends alot more heat/energy in a smaller amount of time.
Vice versa cold air to hot. simplistically speaking
it's not the best description but it's late,heh
What the hell does ice cubes have to do with this theroy??

The reason has nothing to do with compression, and little to do with colder air. The simple fact is that there is less restriction for the engine to fight as it pulls the air into the intake tract.

I do not recommend this however. Is the possiblity of running maybe 1 tenth faster in the 1/4 (if that, I am doubtful a K&N with its low restriction causes this much loss) worth getting dirt and grime sucked into the engine??
Old 10-02-2005, 05:14 PM
ProjMach1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

What if you had one modified so that it had two filters? Like a Y-pipe induction. It would have to be ahead of the MAF, but could be done in theory.
you know its funny you should say this cause i've been thinking about trying it for quit some time. I am going to school for automotive tech, and my instructor has a similar set up done to his stang. He took basically made a 4 way split from the intake (with pvc piping) and snaked them to insideeach one of the fenders and had k&N filters on each one. He said you'd be amazed at the performance you could get from it, it almost acts like a turbo would. Do to the motion of the tires while moving its basically circulating air directly into each filter at a very fast pace (faster you go more air availible). This was only a test of his cause its not very appealing haveing tubes going through the inside of your car but it did work well. I'm thinking about doing that but only to the front two tires, and with the help of the shaker hood on my vehicle it will add a 3rd source of air income.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:40 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

yeah i dunno it was just an idea as i am running outta little things to do and i just thought of it while i was cleaning it.

oh and i was joking with the whole ice cube post but not sure about the ppl that were getting into it
Old 10-02-2005, 10:47 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ProjMach1

What if you had one modified so that it had two filters? Like a Y-pipe induction. It would have to be ahead of the MAF, but could be done in theory.
you know its funny you should say this cause i've been thinking about trying it for quit some time. I am going to school for automotive tech, and my instructor has a similar set up done to his stang. He took basically made a 4 way split from the intake (with pvc piping) and snaked them to insideeach one of the fenders and had k&N filters on each one. He said you'd be amazed at the performance you could get from it, it almost acts like a turbo would. Do to the motion of the tires while moving its basically circulating air directly into each filter at a very fast pace (faster you go more air availible). This was only a test of his cause its not very appealing haveing tubes going through the inside of your car but it did work well. I'm thinking about doing that but only to the front two tires, and with the help of the shaker hood on my vehicle it will add a 3rd source of air income.
If you could design one with a smooth 85mm MAF housing, with two K&Ns on the ends, without having pipes snaking all over hell's half acre, then I'd consider it and so would others, I bet.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:35 PM
ProjMach1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ProjMach1

If you could design one with a smooth 85mm MAF housing, with two K&Ns on the ends, without having pipes snaking all over hell's half acre, then I'd consider it and so would others, I bet.

I'll Keep you guys updated, first order of business is getting my car running, should be done by wensday, the engine is in all thats left is connecting everything. but yeah once everything is good, i'll get started on coming up with some sort of clean way to do that