4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacing passenger exhaust flange gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Cbird

Default Replacing passenger exhaust flange gasket.

First of all, I'm sorry for blowing up these forums these last couple of days. Just been trying to fix the beast up and make her a little more fun to drive.

Anyway I have a wicked leak coming from the passenger side where the manifold meets the midpipe.

Gonna grab a gasket from Ford, impact wrench, penetrating spray, and swivel sockets after work. Will I need anything else?

Also do you have to drop the whole pipe when you do this? My mid pipe is one piece so I'm guessing I will have too. maybe I could just get it off and then side the gasket in place?

I've also read that the driver side flange bolts don't like to work well with aftermarket pipes. I bet I have a small leak there too. Is there any fix for this? High temp copper RTV?

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
96Monster

Hey. I had the same problem. I had to get two bigger bolts and a gasket donut for the pipe. I put the donut on, the i took and put the bigger bolts on each side of the pip and put the bolts through, It allows you to tighten them down more secure and faster. Make sure the bolts are a heat resistance bolt and you will be set.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Cbird

Dude I give up. That was impossible. For the life of me I could not get to the bolts on the passenger side.

My car is lowered so I couldn't get it jacked up enough and I couldn't manage to find the right angle with all the stuff in the way.

Gonna have to take it to the local mechanic Friday. If I could just get the beast on a lift so I could work standing upright I would be in good shape. Bending my spine like that was a killer haha.

And are you talking about the passenger side or driver side? If it is the driver side do you have a parts number for that donut or know how I could get my hands on one?