4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01 GT Blew Spark Plug Now No Start Fuel Coming Out Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:55 PM
devenrocks

Default 01 GT Blew Spark Plug Now No Start Fuel Coming Out Exhaust

Hello all,

Having a little problem I hope you all could help me with. A little info about car.... I have a 2001 GT 4.6 has Comp Cams Stage 2 XE268H cams and BBK cold air intake which are about the only mods It has. Was driving to work one day and blew spark plug from driver side #3 cylinder back. Actually the second time this has happened because last month the cylinder next to it #2 did it as well. Last time it did it the car would start and run somewhat fine, but this time it was different. It popped and slowly what kind of sounded like 1 cylinder at a time the engine died and wouldn't start back up. Had it towed home to start taking a look.

Got home and fixed the spark plug then tried starting it, Nothing. Kept trying and it started smelling like gas under the car so I looked under and it was pouring gas out the exhaust pipe. It wasn't a small drip it was literally pouring out the pipe like a water faucet was left on. Since I was working on my exhaust a few days before this it was cut off about a foot before rear end so it wasn't all the way out the back. I went to the trunk and unplugged the inertia switch and tried starting it and it would start rough for a few seconds then die no matter how much throttle was given. But it was still pouring it out the exhaust even when almost starting.

My exhaust is true duals straight back from manifolds and it's the passenger side that is leaking fuel none coming from driver side. I'm guessing a fuel injector is sticking open but is this much gas common when this happens and would this make a car not start? It's strange that I had no problems before this with them and after the spark plug blew it shows up? Do you think if I just put new fuel injectors it would fix it and run or does it sound like something else also?

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to give as much info as possible. Thank you for any help that you can give me!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM
pure_kaos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by devenrocks
Hello all,

Having a little problem I hope you all could help me with. A little info about car.... I have a 2001 GT 4.6 has Comp Cams Stage 2 XE268H cams and BBK cold air intake which are about the only mods It has. Was driving to work one day and blew spark plug from driver side #3 cylinder back. Actually the second time this has happened because last month the cylinder next to it #2 did it as well. Last time it did it the car would start and run somewhat fine, but this time it was different. It popped and slowly what kind of sounded like 1 cylinder at a time the engine died and wouldn't start back up. Had it towed home to start taking a look.

Got home and fixed the spark plug then tried starting it, Nothing. Kept trying and it started smelling like gas under the car so I looked under and it was pouring gas out the exhaust pipe. It wasn't a small drip it was literally pouring out the pipe like a water faucet was left on. Since I was working on my exhaust a few days before this it was cut off about a foot before rear end so it wasn't all the way out the back. I went to the trunk and unplugged the inertia switch and tried starting it and it would start rough for a few seconds then die no matter how much throttle was given. But it was still pouring it out the exhaust even when almost starting.

My exhaust is true duals straight back from manifolds and it's the passenger side that is leaking fuel none coming from driver side. I'm guessing a fuel injector is sticking open but is this much gas common when this happens and would this make a car not start? It's strange that I had no problems before this with them and after the spark plug blew it shows up? Do you think if I just put new fuel injectors it would fix it and run or does it sound like something else also?

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to give as much info as possible. Thank you for any help that you can give me!

If the head blew spark plugs, then I'm not overly convinced that the threads are completely holding your plugs in after reseating them. I do believe Ford fixed this problem with the 2v in 04 with 8 thread spark plug holes instead of the 4 that the 99 - 03 have. I could be wrong about the years though, but I know they were fixed at some point. When fuel is being dumped through the exhaust, that means you aren't getting spark, no burn. So maybe when your plug(s) blew out that damaged part of the cop harness or it could be just the fact that your plugs are not seating correctly (backing out). Solution: Replace the heads with either the aforementioned fix 04 heads, or AM or LMR has quality aftermarket ones.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:17 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Once you throw the inertia switch, which shuts the fuel pump off there should be no gas anywhere. Any codes?

The 04 and up heads do have the 8 thread spark plug holes

Good luck
Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM
lazer

I dont know about the fuel but I have blown 2 plugs out of my 03 f150 5.4 which I repaired with steel insert kit (not helicoil). But one thing I learned is it wasnt so much about not enough threads as it was about the plug torque. For years ford specified for the modular motors 14lb torque but as it turned out that was most of the reason the plugs would blow---With 14 lb. torque the plugs will loosen up and slowly unscrew untill there isnt enough threads to hold it and then they blow. The latest recommended torque is 28lb with anti-seize of course. When I changed plugs in the f150 they all got torqued to 28 and no more blown plugs.

Last edited by lazer; 07-02-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 PM
devenrocks

Originally Posted by WJL
Once you throw the inertia switch, which shuts the fuel pump off there should be no gas anywhere. Any codes?

The 04 and up heads do have the 8 thread spark plug holes

Good luck
Finally was able to get a scan tool and got code P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input. Any ideas what this means or how to fix?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

there is a fuel pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail more than likely that is your problem, if you have a scanner you can check it
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 PM
devenrocks

Originally Posted by WJL
there is a fuel pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail more than likely that is your problem, if you have a scanner you can check it
Thank You for reply. Is that the thing on the driver side fuel rail in the middle that has the vacuum hose coming to it and the pigtail wire coming out of it?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:09 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

yep, that would be it