4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 GT Can't find starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM
KriegTraktor

Question 98 GT Can't find starter issue

Finishing up replacing the engine on a 98 GT with a manual trans. Just finished putting everything back together aside from some of the accessories and exhaust and all that's left is to prime the engine with oil. Currently, I'm having a hell of a time with the starter. All it wants to do is click when the key is turned. It engages with the flywheel just fine and is definitely getting power but won't turn. I've bought a remanufactured starter since the old one was on its way out anyways and the bolts are a PITA to get to so the starter itself most likely isn't at fault. I've also charged the battery, cleaned the terminals, and made sure that power was getting to the starter (12.74v to the starter with multimeter). The mounting surface on the trans has been sanded down just incase so it should be getting a good ground. I've rotated the new engine manually with the spark plugs removed and there's no binding or difficulties turning from the crankshaft. The starter stays engaged with the flywheel until the engine is turned manually so I know the clicking isn't coming from the starter engaging with the flywheel. At one point the starter did work just fine and would rotate the engine with ease; At this point all I did was disconnect the battery, remove the spark plugs, and disable the fuel system to prepare to prime the engine with oil. Then it went to simply clicking and doing nothing more. There are currently only two wires connected to the starter. A red power wire, and a smaller black wire which I believe is the signal wire. I know this isn't a wiring issue either as I never disconnected these wires at any point. There are two other wires nearby which I don't recall disconnecting; A red wire and a white and pink striped wire but I think these go to the alternator. There doesn't seem to be any information online about the starter wiring except for one in my manual which doesn't give any helpful information. At one point I decided to put the old starter back in hopes that it would somehow fix the problem and the starter didn't engage with the flywheel but instead only spun at what seemed like a very low speed. If it's spinning slowly or isn't able to spin fast or with enough force, then it must be a power issue; Unfortunately I'm not sure where the power issue could lay as I've got a good battery, with wires that seem to be in good condition, and a good connection that's able to bring 12.74v on a multimeter.

Here are some videos of the starter:

Starter click from inside:
Starter click from outside:
Starter spinning without engaging with flywheel:

Also just so it's out there, I know a bit about cars, but I've mainly just been going by a manual for this project and I absolutely hate working with electrics so I'm sorry if this is a simple oversight or something done by a stupid mistake.

I also apologize for this disorganized mess of an essay but I've spent all day trying to deal with this starter and am absolutely exhausted and frustrated because of this damned thing.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Please let me know if there's any info that would be helpful.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I'd suspect it's right near the flywheel of the tranny, probably on the passenger side. could be hidden by a cross member.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure the battery is "good"? It may be charged as much as it'll take, but is it still capable of holding enough CCAs to start the car? How low does the voltage drop when the starter is engaged? I'd feel much better if the battery was load tested, before going any further.