4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Default Starting issue

My car has been giving me trouble when I go to start it since I put it back together. Sometimes I turn the key and it will do nothing (it just clicks, but just one click), sometimes it will start to engage the starter and stop, and sometimes (rarely) it will start right with no issue. I hooked a jumper box up to the battery, and it didn't help so I am pretty sure its not the battery. I tried touching the points together on the starter and all it did was spin the starter motor. This made it seem like the starter was not engaging aka bad starter. I took it off and tested it at autozone, they said it was fine. Any ideas guys?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

So you jumped the 2 big posts on the starter and it would spun, but not push out onto the flywheel? Sounds like the solenoid on the starter is on its way out. Which means new starter time. Double check the small wire and the big power wire to make sure they are 100% tight, if so then just bite the bullet and replace it
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
So you jumped the 2 big posts on the starter and it would spun, but not push out onto the flywheel? Sounds like the solenoid on the starter is on its way out. Which means new starter time. Double check the small wire and the big power wire to make sure they are 100% tight, if so then just bite the bullet and replace it
yes sir thats what I did. Autozone tested it and she said it pushed the gear out all the way, so IDK why it wouldn't push onto the flywheel. I checked the two wires to make sure they were tight before I bothered takin it off. I grabed the wires and tried to move them around and they wouldn't budge.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:39 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I couldnt tell you how many starters I've replaced that would not work on the car....but wen you get em on the ground and hook a jump box to the posts, it will spin its ***** off. Weird sometimes man. I'd look into a new starter
Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

I couldnt tell you how many starters I've replaced that would not work on the car....but wen you get em on the ground and hook a jump box to the posts, it will spin its ***** off. Weird sometimes man. I'd look into a new starter
Yea I will. I am gonna be pissed if I put a new starter on and it still doesn't work. I'm not gonna put the top PITA bolt back in...thats cool right?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

I think its your motor and vortech giving your problems, maybe you should give them to me.
But seriously i would say get a new starter, because if all your connections were good what else could it be?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
I think its your motor and vortech giving your problems, maybe you should give them to me.
But seriously i would say get a new starter, because if all your connections were good what else could it be?
11 stacks and you can have whole car.

Yea I think its the starter too, it is just weird they it passed autozones test but like Doug said it just works that way sometimes.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well, if you really doubt me, get a volt/ohm meter and check the big wire for B+ constant. The small wire should have B+ when the key is cranked. If both check out, then it needs a starter.

Oh yea, that top bolt...I'll be honest (some people might wanna not read this lol) but it usually ends up in my bottom drawer of my box. I usually make an attempt at them, but if they suck too bad it usually doesnt find its way back in the hole. I think anyone who has done plenty of them will agree with me
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Well, if you really doubt me, get a volt/ohm meter and check the big wire for B+ constant. The small wire should have B+ when the key is cranked. If both check out, then it needs a starter.

Oh yea, that top bolt...I'll be honest (some people might wanna not read this lol) but it usually ends up in my bottom drawer of my box. I usually make an attempt at them, but if they suck too bad it usually doesnt find its way back in the hole. I think anyone who has done plenty of them will agree with me
Not doubting you at all, just seems gay that it won't work on the car but did when they tested it. And I had a feeling you were gonna agree to saying fvck that bolt, a lot of cars have two anyway.