4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sloppy clutch pedal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Sloppy clutch pedal...

Use the top of your foot and pull up on the clutch pedal, you should feel it click. See if that helps.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:57 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Use the top of your foot and pull up on the clutch pedal, you should feel it click. See if that helps.
I've tried that, and nothing happens... But just out of curiosity, I'll try it again. I'm going to get under there and look around tonight... Figure that's the best place to start...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

I broke a cable when out of town. The only adjustable cable I could find was in a kit. I intalled the cable but already have a metal Quadrant so this one has never been installed.
ORIGINAL: closer9

ORIGINAL: angcobra

I have a Zoom quadrant for sale if you are interested in it.
Can't say that I've heard of Zoom. Tell me more please... Why are you selling it?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

I broke a cable when out of town. The only adjustable cable I could find was in a kit. I intalled the cable but already have a metal Quadrant so this one has never been installed.

I have a Zoom quadrant for sale if you are interested in it.
Can't say that I've heard of Zoom. Tell me more please... Why are you selling it?
Send me some pix, and a price please. I'm interested...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

You dont need a firewall adjuster, thats just so you can adjust when the clutch engages.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

You dont need a firewall adjuster, thats just so you can adjust when the clutch engages.
Same thing with the adjustable cable right?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I've been having this problem lately... I had it once before, but it quit. The pedal will just get real sloppy for no apparent reason, but after pushing the pedal to the floor several times it goes back to normal. I can only assume that whatever mechanism they use to take up slack in the cable is letting go, and when I push the pedal it eventually takes the slack back up. So, I also assume this is only going to get worse.

Has anyone else had this problem? I absolutely hate the thought of taking my car back to the dealer, even though it's only got 14k miles on it... I was thinking about maybe just getting an aftermarket unit... any thoughts/ideas? I've never messed with a Mustang clutch/cable, and not really wanting to either, but...
Same thing happens to mine every now and then. I tried the same method as you stated except it only works for me while im cruising. I take car out of gear, pump the clutch about 5 times then its fine. I brought it to the dealer and they said the clutch will self adjust and nothing can be done. If somethings wrong, then ill wait until it goes completely. Then the warranty can pick up the cost for the repair.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

YOu can't really adjust where your clutch engages just by getting an adjustable cable. If you got a clutch quadrant that had different positions on where you can place the cable, then depending on where you put the clutch will depend on when your clutch engages. You will need the adjustable cable for this so you can take out the slack in the cable, caused by the different postion. If I where you, I would buy a non-adjustable clutch quadrant, adjustable cable, and a firewall adjuster. Get this... http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog...justerKits.htm

Dont get this quadrant.
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=229

Mabye its just UPR, but I put my clutch cable of the furthest hook and one of the hooks behind it actually sliced the cable in half.

Hey mabye, your problem is just related to the 2004 model year. Even if it turns out that you didnt need these things, there still a very good thing to have, you will enjoy it just because you can decide where the clutch engages.

Good Luck though.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Well, I got under there this even, and just pushed up on the plastic quadrant, and it click once or twice, and all is well, for now. I'm just curious if I were to get a single position quadrant, wouldn't I have to have an adjustable cable or firewall adjuster to take up any slack? I didn't look things over real well, so I'm a little in the gray on this still... Just didn't have time. Decided to waste my evening working on the truck, and it still runs no better, and still needs a vacuum advance that's more than half the price of a new/rebuilt distributor...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

No you can just buy a aftermarket qaudrant. The stock cable is the right length where it engages the pressure plate slightly, so it will maintain tension in the cable. Since your quadrant is just slipping, just buy an aftermarket one, like steeda, and use the furthest position. Its like $40, or some other manufacturer. Which ever, it wont take too long to replace.