4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 1 out of commision

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
mrjohnwayne

Default RE: Mach 1 out of commision

well, you said you have very little exhaust noise, meaning air isn't coming out so it aint going in. so it's an engine problem. it's running, so the rotating assembly is intact somewhat, meaning your block is still good. wich is good, because it's worth money. especially if your crank is still good. sounds to me like you may have broken a few valves, and they got into the combustion chamber. or maybe a bent rod. let us know what they find when they take it apart.
I disagree entirely. Just because his exhaust isn't blowing out does not mean that the engine is not getting air. And with a "few broken valves" bouncing around in the cylinders there is going to be plenty of damage to the block plus it would backfire, and or sputter.

Now if one of the converters is clogged it would have a significant loss in power and restrict airflow. But from the description that does not sound like the case.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

sounds to me like you over revved it and busted a couple valves. or a timing chain came loose and they busted. not sure. what do you turn it to? i have an 03 mach 1 block and i've spun it to 7K with no issues. but i have built GT heads with aftermarket valves springs etc...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

BCisme... Haven't seen you around in a while. Whats going on man?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:19 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

busy with work mostly. im leaving monday for cali for a month. trying to get back into the mustang specific scene as you can see by me posting up alot lately.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:23 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Hit about 6200-6300 before shifting out (when I was racing the trucks and the v6), during the normal shift it was around 3k. I've taken it to 6700 on the track. There is no vibration/noise/sputter coming from inside the engine, it was about a 7 mile drive from my house to the dealership, so I think I would have noticed this, I know something scraped but I'm not sure what, when i looked upder the car, the hpipe/cats looked fine, I couldnt see up into the manifolds (didnt jack it up). I've not noticed any fluid leakage, either here or at the dealership after it sat for 4 hrs... so nothing seems to be leaking (they moved it around too, I guess the drove it to check it) I'm thinking it may be timing chain, or maybe I'm hoping, lol. I'd rather replace the timing chain than valves/springs etc
ORIGINAL: BCisme

sounds to me like you over revved it and busted a couple valves. or a timing chain came loose and they busted. not sure. what do you turn it to? i have an 03 mach 1 block and i've spun it to 7K with no issues. but i have built GT heads with aftermarket valves springs etc...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCisme

busy with work mostly. im leaving monday for cali for a month. trying to get back into the mustang specific scene as you can see by me posting up alot lately.
Sounds like fun, cya around.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:34 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

bloody hell blueangelfighter, those sig pics are sooooo distracting :-P
Old 12-10-2005, 12:45 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Is the GT's Engine stronger than the Mach 1's or more Durable! 2V Vs. 4V ?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:50 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

4v is stronger and has more potential
Old 12-10-2005, 02:03 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

4v is stronger and has more potential
How is the 4V stronger?