4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99 GT cold start trouble... please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:31 PM
msingh

Default RE: 99 GT cold start trouble... please help!

Ok guys... first off thanks again for all the help.

I think you're right about the dyno tune... but I have some questions. (and some new info).

Here's what's happened since the last post. I was able to get my hands on a 2000GT ccrm for nothing... so I figured I'd try swapping it out. The 2000GT ccrm did the same thing. But I did confirm that it is the ccrm that 'clicks away' when the car is cold. When it's 'clicking', everything seems to flash (except power to the instrument cluster(IC)). The IC shows dashes (telling me it can't communicate with the PCM???)... and sometimes the theft light flashes... sometimes not. Through all this NO dtc codes come up... and NO other codes (period) come up. (MIL stays OFF).

SO... last week I got a tip from someone at vortech tech support to try swapping out with the old injectors, and taking out the chip. I did that today.... it seems like my old baby is back. My true test will be tomorrow when I start it from sitting over night.... so I guess(?) there was something wrong with the chip...

Finally... Does this mean I need a custom burn???? Any ideas on why a chip would cause the car to go crazy when it's cold... but for only a few minutes????

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ....

Will running with the old injectors.... no chip..... but the blower still attached... screw up my engine????

Thanks again!

Regards,

-Manpreet
Old 01-28-2006, 11:52 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

Just some of my thoughts, I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet or not, but here's some ideas I was thinking about.

* It has a problem starting in the cold, try a engine warmer.

* Maybe your fuel has condensation in it, or you are getting fuel line freeze, try using a fuel additve like HEET.

* Are your injectors large enough for the boost you are running.

* Your trouble codes, when was the last time you fully flushed the tranny? May need to be done. also check the screen for debris.

* consider getting a new pcv valve?

* back to the code about fuel, make sure you don't need bigger injectors/rails/pump.

* maybe you need a different weight of oil for you climate.

* change the spark plugs

* BTW, you must get a tune. Take it to a good dyno and have someone expeirenced tune your car.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:09 AM
cnh

you will need a little bit bigger injectors and a tune the tune will make the car see and use the s/c better in the mean time try this start the car and let it die then unplug the battery cable turn off the switch first of course wait about 5min. plug cable back in this should fix it for now but it will do it again unless u tune it
Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

What MAS do you have. Is it one that came with the kit or the stock one. Reason I ask is because the MAS is set to a certain injector size. If its the stock MAS it wouldnt be calibrated for the larger injectors.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:31 PM
msingh

Hi again... Happy Sunday! :-)

So.. the car started without ANY problems this morning. (No Chip,... and stock injectors). Now let me try to answer all your ?'s.

* It has a problem starting in the cold, try a engine warmer.
- I thought about that... and I almost admitted to myself that it could only be a summer car.... but after finding out that a couple of other guys have the same setup with NO problems.... I figured there must be something wrong with my car. (which prompted me to investigate)

* Maybe your fuel has condensation in it, or you are getting fuel line freeze, try using a fuel additve like HEET.
- I thought this at first (last winter)... so I added all kinds of additives... HEET included... none of them made a difference

* Are your injectors large enough for the boost you are running.
- The injectors came with the kit (Cobra injectors)... I'll list what the vortech kit included at the end of this post.

* Your trouble codes, when was the last time you fully flushed the tranny? May need to be done. also check the screen for debris.
- Haven't flushed the tranny... it's on my list of things to do this summer :-). btw... those codes that I originally posted are from 99 till 2006. So... I'm not sure how related they may be.

* consider getting a new pcv valve?
- It's possible I need one... but does it function pre-startup?

* back to the code about fuel, make sure you don't need bigger injectors/rails/pump.
- I think this may be where the problem is... but with the chip in and the cobra injectors... the fuel pressure was fine.

* maybe you need a different weight of oil for you climate.
- I don't think so? what do you guys think? 5w-30 valvoline synthetic is what I'm using

* change the spark plugs
- They were new in the kit

* BTW, you must get a tune. Take it to a good dyno and have someone expeirenced tune your car.
- good dyno.. and someone experienced is what i'm having trouble with. Anyone know anyone good in the northeast??

- ALSO.. .the car has the stock MAS. Here's what I have done to the car :

Started with stock 4.6 99GT and added the vortech kit with intercooler which basically included :
- V2-SQBlower
- cobra injectors
- 255 fuel pump
- intercooler
- relocated battery to trunk
- oil tap (in to pan)
- sent ECM to Vortech for the chip/flash
- the MAS and IAT are relocated in the fender.... and it also has a K&N filter.

That's pretty much it.

cnh.... I like your idea... (I wish I had that info before I changed the injectors back :-( )...

My main question is... does anyone think I'll damage the engine by having a blower with the stock injectors, better fuel pump, and stock ecm? I'm guessing it won't... I just won't take advantage of the blower... but I'm FAR from knowledgeable on s/c's.

Thanks again (and again).

Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
msingh

Here's the latest ...

The car runs fine with the old injectors... and no chip. Vortech says that as long as I stay out of boost (<~2500-3000) it's ok to drive the car. Being really pissed that I spent so much on sensors etc,... (and it was their fault!!)... they made steps to 'making up for it' by saying they'll send me a blank diablo chip. So... off to the lowest bidding (EMR) tuner in the Northeast.... I'll let you guys know how it goes. I know I've said this too much.. but thanks again for the help. (I was VERY close... too close to letting go of my 'baby'. I even started looking at book values, etc... I really hope the tune works!)

Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
msingh

I'm running out of ideas!!!!

I drove 4 hours out to MASS and the great guys there dyno tuned my car and burned me a new chip. The old chip was EXTREMELY rich... hence my 14mpg. With the new chip my car ran great... for about a day. Then it started freaking out while driving on the highway... and today... it's starting to feel like the same issue. The car just shuts down... and the odometer goes to "--------". Diablo said to take the chip out... clean the contacts (I sanded, and cleaned with alcohol... now the copper looks nice and shiny)... but that didn't help.

Does ANYONE know what might be going on here. To sum up... without any chip... and with the stock injectors the car runs fine. With (it seems like) any chip the ecm seems to short... or shutdown... randomly. So the car just stalls out. In the on position the ccrm starts to click.. etc.

If you guys had the options of getting a new ECM vs. Flashing the ECM with a new 'tune'... which route would you go???? Could this kind of problem be in the tune itself??? (I don't think so,.. but I'm just asking anyways).

Someone also mentioned that there are jumpers on the 99' ecm's? Anyone know anything about that? He said the slot may not be active from the factory... or something... so if someone jumpered it.. maybe they didn't do it right? (Does that make any sense?)

Thanks guys... please help me fix this before my wife kills me!!! :-)
Old 02-15-2006, 12:55 AM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

sounds like the board in the ecm might be bad only seen a few go bad you should be able to pull it out and either take it to a parts store or the dealer to have it checked
Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 AM
msingh

FINALLY...... !!!!!!!!

So... in case you guys were wondering it was the diablo chip. Actually it was all THREE of the diablo chips that were sent by Vortech. The AMAZING guys at New England Dyno (John and Mike) over nighted me another chip to try (keep in mind I'm 4+ hours away from the nearest dyno). These guys went above and beyond in helping me get my mustang (w/vortech) running perfectly. The new chip did the trick. If you're in the north east,... definitely check these guys out if you are having ANY trouble.

For those who have a diablo chip... I recommend not using a flip chip (with wire)... because I (later) found out that the cable case damage the chip due to static build up. Who knows what actually damaged these practically new chips... but the new one has been working for two weeks now. I'm hoping for the best.

Thank you all for helping out too.

NEDyno and you guys saved my car (and my marriage!!!) :-).