4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tuner Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner Questions??

ya they are really easy to use. Just plug into the port where your right leg is then you can do just about anything. If your car is stock you can do stock hp tune w/ a predator. and then modify it for 4:10's if you dont really want to mess with settings by yourself. If you buy a new one from an online retailor they will usually make custom tunes for you i saw this at rpm outlet, but you can find them used for a lot cheaper
Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

When I order it, mustangtuning says that they need a list of my current mods?? Would the tuner only work according to those mods, or will I be able to continue with the tune once I keep modding my car??
Old 01-19-2006, 01:33 AM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

I had both tuners and BELIEVE ME the diablo sport is better for the basics, the SCT x cal 2 will NOT let you change anything with the dealer getting involved the sport allows everything except fuel injectors changes where u have to order a tune for, but the SCT will only let you do what the dealer wants you to play with ( all the ads are wrong you cant do all that stuff without the dealers sending a tune to do so), I was very mad at all this spending over $700 for both tuners and finding out they both wont let me hit a button and change my fuel injector size.... IMO if your going to do small mods like no cats, remove TC and spark advance data logging ect ect ect and all the stuff the ads say, the sport is cool, if your doing extreme mods, heads, cams S/C I would go with the SCT, the tunes are cheaper and SCT forums are excellent and the staff will hook u up with a tune...SCT is easier to download to and update, and diablo is alittle more tricky, but the diablo people are rude.... i stuck with the SCT becasue they sent me a great nitrous tune, they have the greatest customer service, and there forums are top notch.....
Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

I just bought a Diablo Preditor sport a few weeks ago. It is very easy to install. under your steering wheel there is an interface that plugs into tuner. All power has to be off and you even have to shut the doors. It gives you a few prompts that takes out the factory program and stores it. Then it uploads the Diablo program in. Takes about 20 min. and your done. This unit does let you adjust the Diablo program at a small increment at a time. Time is almost here when you will be able download diifferent programs from the internet to your PC to your tuner to the car. Before I tell you my opinion I want to tell you what non-stock stuff I already did. Air intake cooler with K & N filter, dynomax exhaust, long tube headers, the controvercial turbonator, New Goodyears all the way around, Steeda tri axe shifter, controvercial Bosch Titanium 4 prong spark plugs, 3.73 ring and pinion.
Thats it. I have some great places to run and test a car so I picked the dell. Lots of straights but the end of the run is like a road course. I started it and It sounded totally different. So going thru town I took it easy till I got to the dell I was just rolling in 1st gear all I can say is holy sh-- that car really runs. I would advise a shifter before you install the tuner. I have heard guys say they weren't that impressed with them but with my car all I can say is wow. I'm not sure why my car reacted so well yet some don't. I do have my air intake positioned in a way where I am forcing some air right against the throttle body. No clue and not complaining. I did have a few things I had to change. #1 I didn't have 94 octane in my tank and it was almost full. #2 I had put a chip on my intake air temp sensor, that had to go. I had a little octane tap once I got it full of 94 octane and the chip disabled. Well thats my opinion worth every cent so far. Our weather in PA sucks and I can only go out when its nice so my opinion is based on just 4 trips.

Later Steve
Old 01-19-2006, 08:08 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

soudns good.