4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SLP Catted X pipe VS Mac Pro Chamber

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:43 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default SLP Catted X pipe VS Mac Pro Chamber

I have narrowed it down to a Mac O/R Pro-Chamber and the SLP Catted X pipe. I am assuming that the Mac would be a bit deeper than the SLP, but it might be borderline obnoxiously loud and might have an unrefined sound. The SLP wouldnt be as loud but would probably have a cleaner sound. Anybody wanna tell me what they would go with and why? THX
Old 02-05-2006, 08:36 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: SLP Catted X pipe VS Mac Pro Chamber

The problem here with me is your choosing between 2 different brands and 2 different midpipes, one being X-pipe and the other being the Prochamber. If your looking for deep and kinda loud, go with the Prochamber. If your looking for kinda deep and kinda loud, but not to loud, go with the X-pipe. The good thing about the SLP X-pipe is that its stainless steel and would look better and never rust. The rest is on you my friend.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:37 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I was initially drawn to the Pro-Chamber because it was cheap (and also because it has that black coating on it to help prevent rust) . I also thought it might have a somewhat unique sound because it has a somewhat unique design. One of my concerns with the O/R Pro-Chamber is highway driving. With the stock H on the car, at around 2000 RPM it borderline annoying, however it is not too bad, it can be talked over, and easy ignored or covered up by the CD player. But with an O/R pipe, I would imagine it would be pretty loud inside, especially when you factor in the 4.10 gears I plan on getting. As far as city driving however, the louder the better really IMO...

With the SLP Catted X, I thought it might have been a no-brainer because of the SS design, good reputation for quality and fitment, and the fact that it was modular. If I ever got tired of the sound with my LM1s, I could buy some LM2s and some race pipes and have a completely different sound, and a few combinations to choose from. However the SLP Catted X, is about 100 bucks more than the Pro-Chamber (before you factor in the MILs, which I may or maybe not have to buy depending on when I get my tuner). I was somewhat turned off by an X pipe because of people talking about raspyness, which I definitely dont want. I want a rather deep tone.

I dunno. Maybe I'll just flip a coin or something
Old 02-05-2006, 09:53 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

I was initially drawn to the Pro-Chamber because it was cheap (and also because it has that black coating on it to help prevent rust) . I also thought it might have a somewhat unique sound because it has a somewhat unique design. One of my concerns with the O/R Pro-Chamber is highway driving. With the stock H on the car, at around 2000 RPM it borderline annoying, however it is not too bad, it can be talked over, and easy ignored or covered up by the CD player. But with an O/R pipe, I would imagine it would be pretty loud inside, especially when you factor in the 4.10 gears I plan on getting. As far as city driving however, the louder the better really IMO...

With the SLP Catted X, I thought it might have been a no-brainer because of the SS design, good reputation for quality and fitment, and the fact that it was modular. If I ever got tired of the sound with my LM1s, I could buy some LM2s and some race pipes and have a completely different sound, and a few combinations to choose from. However the SLP Catted X, is about 100 bucks more than the Pro-Chamber (before you factor in the MILs, which I may or maybe not have to buy depending on when I get my tuner). I was somewhat turned off by an X pipe because of people talking about raspyness, which I definitely dont want. I want a rather deep tone.

I dunno. Maybe I'll just flip a coin or something
It is nice to be able to switch from cats to race pipes with the SLP. I would get an o/r H-pipe from Mac. I have one and man it is love all over again. Its funny you mention it about the noise on the highway, because when I'm on the highway, my stereo is either off, or at the max, thats the only way I can here it. But I love it anyways, so loud and deep and I think it scares the ricers away.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:59 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Yea I heard a clip of the LM1 + Mac O/R H and didn't like the excessive popping sound. But you never really can tell what it will actually sound like with sound clips...
Old 02-05-2006, 10:02 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Yea I heard a clip of the LM1 + Mac O/R H and didn't like the excessive popping sound. But you never really can tell what it will actually sound like with sound clips...
IMO, soundclips do no justice whatsoever. In person, they sound alot different.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:07 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

Agreed. Most mics can't pick up the deep tones that most mustang exhausts have. I heard LM1s on a sound clip before I bought them and the clip almost changed my mine. I was kinda scared to listen to my car for the first time after they were installed, however after I gave it that first rev I was in love. They really sounded nothing like the clip...
Old 02-05-2006, 10:11 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

Agreed. Most mics can't pick up the deep tones that most mustang exhausts have. I heard LM1s on a sound clip before I bought them and the clip almost changed my mine. I was kinda scared to listen to my car for the first time after they were installed, however after I gave it that first rev I was in love. They really sounded nothing like the clip...
Now just you cant imagine what they would sound like with an o/r H-pipe? Love.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:13 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Yea Its probably deeper than hell.... Does it make an excessive popping noise tho? And do they make the Mac H with the dura-black or whatever its called? We get ALOT of rain here.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:24 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Yea Its probably deeper than hell.... Does it make an excessive popping noise tho? And do they make the Mac H with the dura-black or whatever its called? We get ALOT of rain here.
The one I heard in person was deep as hell and loud, but it also had some LT's on it. I think they make them in the black, but not sure, you'll have to check with the sellers.