4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

"Driver mod"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Reed44
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: "Driver mod"

I hope that cobalt had a stage II kit on it
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I've always had good luck launching. Shifting? I can go into a slump everynow and then and maybe miss a shift or 2 at the track, then maybe go a couple months w/o. And sometimes my tranny/clutch will just be a bitch. Most of that is being TOO aggressive with the shifter. Power shifting 3rd gets me into trouble more than it doesnt. lol

If I'm racing someone to beat them, I usually just quickshift, making sure I dont miss. If I'm out running to beat a personal best, or trying out a new mod? Powershifting, and being super aggressive with every shift.

I have a Stage 3 driver mod when I dont miss and am really on it, and a -50 driver mod when I miss. lol
Old 06-05-2007, 02:21 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't mind seeing one of these "Driver Mod" guys try and quick shift my 3650. Pretty good trans and all, doesnt grind, has the usual noisy *** synchros, but it takes the force of God to mangle it into 3rd gear under power. ....And no, the MGW really didnt help that much. I'm starting to wonder if I need a clutch adjuster or some wierd crap. As far as driving, practice makes perfect, and even though I cant seem to shift my problematic trans, I kill the tree at the strip with repeated .033-.070s every time. Too bat R/T doesnt shave off E.T as I was only able to pull a best of 14.47 last time out[:@]
Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 AM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

How do you power shift? My synchros are starting to crap out, but either way? How do you power shift, how in the hell do you shift without your clutch under power?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

What i meant by "under power" was shifting out of 2nd at 5400 RPM and trying to quick slam it into third. Powershifting is shifting under full power but using the clutch. They keep the gas to the floor but speed shift it normaly but not letting off the gas. May shave some time off the tree, but you will more then likely be walking home afterward if you have a T-45 or 3650.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

How do you power shift? My synchros are starting to crap out, but either way? How do you power shift, how in the hell do you shift without your clutch under power?
Powershifting is shifting without letting go of the gas. It's really fun, and quite simple on the 1-2 shift. But when, NOT IF, when you F up, it's not good for the tranny at all. lol

I learned by keeping my foot on the gas(but not all the way) and just kept doing it, until my body learned EXACTLY what to do and when. Then more throttle and more and more, until I could easily do it with my foot on the floor.

2-3, thats a diff story. Done it a couple, missed it a bunch. lol
Old 06-05-2007, 02:32 AM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

Good info? But I know its possible to shift without the clutch. Motorcycles do it all the time. Anyone know how to do it? I'm not sure it makes any sense in cars like these. I have a budy that does it with his truck some times, not sure its possible at high RPMs.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Good info? But I know its possible to shift without the clutch. Motorcycles do it all the time. Anyone know how to do it? I'm not sure it makes any sense in cars like these. I have a budy that does it with his truck some times, not sure its possible at high RPMs.
Truckers call it "floating" gears. I shift my Eaton 10-speed all day without using a clutch, unless I'm taking off from the line ofcourse. Its a matter of matching the travel speed or road speed with the engine speed. Easy to do with semis and big trucks, harder to do with tight car trannys that are synchromesh operated.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

It's possible but doesn't really make any sense. It doesn't help you or anything. I think you just have to pull the shifter at the exact right time and it'll go for you without the clutch pedal. Kinda dumb and a good way to ruin the tranny while trying to get it.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 AM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

i got smoked bya modified sn95 gt 'vert front a red light because i missed 3rd [:@]i was pretty embarrassed.....i thought i was gonna win one for the fox body guys. my next mod after that was a steeda tri ax shifter haha

Quick Reply: "Driver mod"