4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

"Driver mod"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: "Driver mod"

I think the reason you see most of the forum memebers, espcially the ones that have higher post count, talking about this is due to experence.

Most of the time if you run into a ****ty driver they are not on a forum, and don't have much done to the car. This isn't a golden rule, but more often than not its someone that just doesn't really have THAT much interest in the hobby, and just has a sports car for looks.

I have beaten more people than I can recall simply due to better driving, that is to say I knew if we switched cars I could beat my car with theirs.

People are just ****ty drivers anymore, most don't grow up driving a stick and then think they are going to get in, drive it for a week, and be the next john force.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:27 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

-1000 to shifting without the clutch.

If your foot is quick enough, you can lightly press the clutch and have it back out at almost the exact same time you have the car into the next gear.

Powershifting to me is full throttle between gears but still using the clutch.

I don't even know how you would describe racing w/o depressing the clutch... maybe Destruction Shifting, I dont know if there is an answer for that.

But yea, like he said above me, there are many instances *not in my case* but you read them in the S/S section alot about how someone killed something they shouldnt have. Which is usually followed closely by a BS call, and then in the future 'can I beat it, or what woudl I run threads" you get misinformation and filth spewed out by people saying they've beat things.

Rant* nothing is more useless to a thread than chiming in with a ,," well, one time I beat such and such with blah and blah" when everyone and their brother knows it's incredibly unlikely" *Rant off
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xcodegt

got a lil overzealous on a launch and lost a red light to red light with a Z71.
As for the better driver thing. Can someone explain why I beat my buddy's GT?

My mods: BBK LT's, O/R X, 3.73's, CAI, and Diablo tuner on 275 street tires

His mods: CAI, plenum, TB, BBK shorties, O/R X, 4.10's, Diablo, Patriot heads w/comp cams, A/C delete, underdrive pulleys, Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP HD clutch, Short throw shifter, EGR delete, Rear seat delete, Borla Catback,315 drag radials.

My ET is a tenth quicker and his speed is 1mph higer than mine on an honest runs consistently. Honestly what the hell difference does knowing how to drive make?
I have seen Ls1 cars running high 14s and more morons than I can count doing massive burnouts off the line racing on the street, not to mention people that cannot shift taking a 1/2 second or more to shift gears (sometimes ALOT more), not shifting at the right RPM, or just generally screwing it up.

driver makes all the difference. A great driver can get in a 14 second car (with a regular/bad one) and run mid 13s all day long... it makes a huge difference.

BTW, shifting without using the clutch does exactly one thing on our cars... it tears out the syncs.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Firestang55
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

not shifting at the right RPM,

OK. Question on that. I have been shifting around 5000-5500 rather than go to redline as I was under the impression that the power flattened out past 5000ish. For those who run alot, what rpm's are you generally shifting at? I know this has to do with 4v or 2v and built vs unbuilt. I am talking about basically stock, 2v.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:42 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

His mods: CAI, plenum, TB, BBK shorties, O/R X, 4.10's, Diablo, Patriot heads w/comp cams, A/C delete, underdrive pulleys, Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP HD clutch, Short throw shifter, EGR delete, Rear seat delete, Borla Catback,315 drag radials.

My ET is a tenth quicker and his speed is 1mph higer than mine on an honest runs consistently. Honestly what the hell difference does knowing how to drive make?
I think you answered your own question. Either he has bad traction issues or he can't drive. The faster car doesn't always win, especially in the hands of the wrong driver. Do this, you and your friend go to the track ans swap cars and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

His mods: CAI, plenum, TB, BBK shorties, O/R X, 4.10's, Diablo, Patriot heads w/comp cams, A/C delete, underdrive pulleys, Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP HD clutch, Short throw shifter, EGR delete, Rear seat delete, Borla Catback, 315 drag radials.

I think you answered your own question. Either he has bad traction issues or he can't drive. The faster car doesn't always win, especially in the hands of the wrong driver. Do this, you and your friend go to the track ans swap cars and see what happens.
Oh yeah, I was sarcastic in my last remark. I was referring to the original "good driver" post
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

I got smoked by a CBR 1000 in my buddies 425 rwhp Roush 360R. I didnt stand a chance. Stupid bikes! But in my defense i raped a 6.0 GTO
Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Adams_02GT
3rd Gear Member

When I first bought her, I couldn't shift and would loose to my buddies A4 all day long. As time went on I got alot better. He hasn't beat me since.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Firestang55

OK. Question on that. I have been shifting around 5000-5500 rather than go to redline as I was under the impression that the power flattened out past 5000ish. For those who run alot, what rpm's are you generally shifting at? I know this has to do with 4v or 2v and built vs unbuilt. I am talking about basically stock, 2v.

Stock cam 4.6 2vs usually start dropping off the power curve after 5,400 RPMs. There is debate about this, but after reading many posts and paying attention to the racers with good knowledge, your best bet is at 5,400-5,600 RPM. Flogging to 6,200 RPM isnt cutting any extra time with stock cams. The issue will mainly be valve float too. Even though the engine CAN spin that high, the stock valvetrain will begin to "float" and drop off power quick. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

People who talk about how good of a driver they are, hardly ever live up to their own claims. The best driver I know will NEVER claim to be a good driver.

Quick Reply: "Driver mod"